1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out To Very Religious Parents

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by DylanV14, Apr 12, 2015.

1. DylanV14

DylanV14 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So as the title says my parents are very religious and me and for me its either coming out now or being outed by a bully aka my brother. A few of my friends know already and accept me. This is the most scared I have ever been because my parents hate gays and are vocal about their beliefs that gays are evil and deserve to die. My dad actually hit me for looking at a shirtless boy too long and said "watch yourself boy I ain't about to have a fag son" so i can imagine the beating I'll get when I tell them I am gay. Please help I am so scared right now because if my brother outs me it'll be worse because not only am i gay i also lied to them.

2. nohalos

Are you sure that your brother is not bluffing? Or is he blackmailing you?

Maybe you can get help from friends or school advisors. Someone of authority. Maybe get some help form a hotline or an LGBT group nearby. Just so when the stuff hits the fan, you can have people to support you.

I think you need to have some sort of support before you do anything.

3. DylanV14

DylanV14 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I live in a region of the US collectively known as the bible belt and there aren't many LGBT resources here

4. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm sorry you have such a ignorant and hateful dad. Don't come out or do anything to make anyone suspect you're gay. Knowing some supportive people/groups is a good idea just in case. I hope you can make it safely to an age you can move out and be on your own. Start doing something to make money and save it. I had a paper route and did yard work when I was 14. You can always talk to us here but make sure you don't get caught viewing this or any gay site. I do wish you the best!

5. Im Hazel

(First, I am going to assume that your parents are Christian. With a little research, there are lots of similar things for other religions.) If he abuses you, you can always contact someone. As far as I can tell, in your state, homosexuality does not justify beatings, so if he tries to hit you, remind him he could be arrested. Talk to your brother and explain how you could be hurt - emotionally and physically. Even if he is a bully, you may have to swallow your pride and/or morals, and beg him not to tell. Is it worse to owe a bully a favour, or to possible be beaten up and thrown out of your house. On the other hand, though, your parents may repent their homophobic ways, and be understanding. From your fathers behaviour, that seems unlikely, but would your mother be sympathetic? Really, if you can prevent them from knowing that would be ideal, but you could always try to reason with them if they find out. Remind them that it's not a choice, it is not "curable" or a "disease". Tell them about how in the bible, Jesus blessed a homosexual (apparently), and David and Jonathan's relationship. Tell them that only God can judge you, and "hate the sin, not the sinner" and things like that. In the worst case, could you move in with these friends who are supportive? Would they let you stay with them until you get a job? Are there homeless shelters near you if that fails? As noangeleither said, support networks are important.

6. DylanV14

DylanV14 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    well im 13 they can't legally throw me out and my brother said if i don't tell them he will he isn't trying to extort me he is just being a jerk and my mom is worse than my dad as far as hating gays. My brother already said nothing i say or do will change the fact that he will tell them if i don't and he gave me until dinner next Saturday to do it so i have a week basically. I don't know what to do this IS happening

7. nohalos

Phone a hotline for LGBT teens support and maybe ask them to patch you through to a place where people can help you if the worst case scenario happens.

If you can, tell your friends this situation of yours, I'm betting they can help you through this, or at least have their parents help you out. Of course, this might mean that you'd come out to more people but if they can support you if stuff hits the fan, I'd say it's worth outing yourself.

Please contact EC Advisors for they will know more on how to help you.

Hold in there, mate. Stay strong. And keep your calm.

8. Im Hazel

He said you can't reason with him, so you should try. If that doesn't work, go up to your parents and tell them he is spreading lies about you. Say that you are totally straight, and your brother is jealous. If you have female friends, you could even get one to pose as a girlfriend and ask your parents if she can come over (though that might cause problems in the future). If they are really against homosexuality, you probably don't want to come out to them anytime soon, so just lie to them. You say that your dad chastised you for looking at pictures of men, but just say that you wished you had abs like him. That sounds totally normal to a person who is not paranoid about this like you probably are.

9. DylanV14

DylanV14 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    well i texted my friend and her parents are phoning DCS and said if it comes down to it her parents will take me in they have a license to foster children and more than enough room especially for me and they are willing to permanently take me in if need be

---------- Post added 12th Apr 2015 at 03:29 PM ----------

well my parents already suspect me so its not that simple and the thing with my dad happened at the YMCA pool with a boy i have had a crush on for all of middle school and he didn't have abs. I don't even like abs

10. Im Hazel

That is very good to hear. But it's still best to avoid putting yourself in harm's way. Be careful! Good luck. :slight_smile:

11. nohalos

That's great to hear. You're very lucky to have friends and their parents who support you 100%. Please do take care of yourself and as much as possible, do not mind your brother right now. I hope everything turns out well for you, Dylan. And we'd love to hear updates on what's happening. But also, I hope you'd take some time to enjoy yourself in this site. You may need some break from all this stressful stuff.

Best of luck!

12. DylanV14

DylanV14 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    well i just gotta get this over with and pray my bigot parents don't beat me. Glad they don't know I am agnostic or they might kill me

13. Im Hazel

Please keep us posted! My heart goes out to you, and I wish you the best. If you ever need advice you can PM me or any admins. Best luck.

14. ApexxShadow

I'm so so sorry about your parents. My advice is contacting your friend beforehand so their family can be ready to take you in. Make sure you put your physical, and emotional safety first. Best of luck xx

15. Ashleigh16

I completely understand. My parents wouldn't physically harm me but I'm terrified of being disowned if I come out. Anyway if you want to talk I'm going into counseling so I might could help :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 12th Apr 2015 at 05:45 PM ----------

I'm here if you need me and I'm praying for you even I that means nothing just know I'm here

16. DylanV14

DylanV14 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My parents are old school strong Christian people I was raised Christian but by 12(last year) I got turned off by Christianity and eventually became Agnostic

17. Ashleigh16

I can understand. I almost did. But regardless of what you believe I'm here if you need anything. I understand. Let me know if I can do anything.

18. DylanV14

DylanV14 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    the only thing my parents hate more than gays is "godless heathens" luckily my parents don't know about my conversion from Christianity but I am gonna tell them tonight at dinner and I will tell all of you how it goes my friend said a bed is ready at their house if needed

19. Ashleigh16

Okay. And please please know that anything I can do I will. Im supporting you all the way

20. DylanV14

DylanV14 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It didn't go well but for once in 13 years my brother had my back, dad did get a few hits in but my brother pulled him off and told me to get a hold of someone to let me stay with them and he would drive me, mom just sat there with a disgusted look like i was just a piece of trash. I just wish I would've waited till AFTER i ate because now i am super hungry lol(just trying to lighten things up). But seriously my stomach is growling bad, my brother said he stop somewhere because he is also hungry. In all seriousness and pain aside It feels like a weight is off my shoulders.