1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to my Dad over the phone

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Giraffes, Apr 12, 2015.

1. Giraffes

I know I won't see my dad for months so I'd have to wait to tell him if I went that route. I'm tired of being closeted. I'm at a point (he lives VERY far away ) where I love myself no matter what anyone else says so is telling him over the phone acceptable?

2. PunkRockKitten

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Personally I would go for some sort of video chat like Skype or FaceTime where you can see and hear someone, but if you feel comfortable telling him over the phone or that's easier for you then go for it. There's really no right way or acceptable way to come out. It all depends on what you feel comfortable doing and how you think the person you're telling would react.

3. Wildside

Wildside Guest

there is really no wrong way to tell him, especially when distance is a factor. the phone is really fine. It is much more personal than a text, which for some people is the only option they're comfortable with. and which is OK too, in that case. the import thing is to communicate the message. that will get the conversation going. good luck!

4. Im Hazel

Telephone is good, but don't get too jumpy if he gasps or something. Over the telephone it sounds like so much more than if often is. Other than trivial things like that, there are no real bad points, considering the situation. Go for it!