1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I Come Out To My Parents?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by theidlerwheel, Apr 13, 2015.

1. theidlerwheel

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've been fully out to my friends and sister for a couple of months now; but I haven't come out to my parents and brothers yet. My brothers are actually really liberal and they'd have no problem with me being bi (although it would be a really awkward telling them; but my parents are kind of conservative.
    My Mom is weird, she's a really conservative liberal. I always hear her talk about how "There's no such thing as bisexual. Women who are bi like men; and men who are bi like men." It's total bullshit, I know. So I feel like if I came out to her she'd be weird around me.
    I'm estranged from my Dad, and he's a little homophobic. But maybe I should still tell him. I have no idea.

P.S. : I know this isn't nearly as bad as the people who will be disowned/cast out by their family if they come out. Because I know I wouldn't; I just was people's opinion.

Thanks Baiii

2. Winter Maiden

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Just because your situation isnt as bad as others doesnt make it any less valid :slight_smile: . (I hope that makes sense lol). Telling your brothers would be a good idea and a good place to start. That is of course if you are certain they wont out you to your parents without your consent. As for telling your parents, I don't know if you should especially with the kinds of mindsets they possess. If coming out to your parents is only going to cause them to treat you differently (in a negative fashion) then it would be best not to come out to them. I hope all goes well hun ! n_n

3. Im Hazel

If you explain to your mom what a bisexual actually is while coming out, I don't know how she couldn't change her "opinion". It is silly to say that a word which means "likes both genders" actually means "likes men". Tell her to look in a dictionary. If you are estranged from your dad, you have nothing to lose, right? You could even convince him that homophobia is wrong. Then again, the less trouble you have, the better. Good luck, whatever you choose to do!