1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My friends hates gay people.... What should I do?!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by bigspeakers, Apr 13, 2015.

1. bigspeakers

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, I'm a bisexual and I don't know how I should tell my friends about this. I tould to my very best friend (who is against gays too) and she took it very well. She just said that she don't like that stuff but she want's to support me and secure me what ever happens. Well there is many other friends too that are against gays. They can make many jokes mostly about lesbians, in one day. I know that those jokes aren't about me, but it still hurts. So I want to tell them that I'm bisexual, but when I'm ready to tell them I can't find a good time to tell it and then I just suddenly back up and can't tell them about it. And now I'm just waiting that I'll be ready again, but I'm wondering that how should I do it and when... Sometimes I think that I can't tell, because it'll ruin our friendship and then they can't be normally with me and sometimes I think that I should just tell them right away.. What should I do?

2. Im Hazel

Do you want homophobic people as your friends? I don't know your situation,so I can't judge you for that, but if someone was genuinely irrevocably homophobic, I wouldn't be their friend. In terms of coming out, you could just take them to one side at the end of the day and tell them - just before you go home. That way they have time to think and you don't have an awkward wait. However, at the same time, they can't ask questions, so it's your call. Most homophobic people repent after learning of an LGBT friend. Oh, and you can always try testing the waters by asking if they would be accepting if a friend came out as gay / bi. Or asking if they have any LGBT friends.

3. Images and Words

That's a shame. I would say that they aren't worth being around, but I've never been in the situation where my friends are homophobic. If one of your friends, who you said was homophobic is okay with you, is there a chance that the other people may be the same too?
    (*hug*) Best of luck!
    And, on a lighter note, well done on coming out to your friend!

4. Wildside

Wildside Guest

If your friends hate gay people, get new friends. even if I were straight, I would dump any "friends" who hate gay people

5. UnderTheRainbow

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Kill them all! Just trying to lighten this all up. Write a note tothem all or a text saying 'I am a lesbian. I know you like to joke around with this so if you are against this, buh bye, you ain't my friend. I am not in any sexually attracted to you, so I hope I can continue this friendship as normal as possible.'
    You may lose a few friends, but it is up to you to come out or not.

6. RedLynx

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Don't be afraid to tell them. If they are real friends, they will accept you. If they can't stand being your friend just because of your sexual orientation, then they're not worth it. Surround yourself with people who loves you for who you are. Coming out may cost you some friends, but those who remain are priceless.

7. emmussey90

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hopefully they will accept you for who you are but in the case that they don't then they are not real friends and are not worth your time