1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Let's Make it "Official"

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by neecee, Apr 13, 2015.

1. neecee

neecee Guest

I realized and came to terms with being bisexual in my late years of high school,
    (I've always thought girls we're cute but never really considered dating one until my bbf did and I was kinda like "hey, that's a thing" but thats really a different story haha :icon_redf )

Getting back on track, I have a close knit group of friends who range from straight to queer and I'm able to talk and joke about finding girls and boys attractive with them, I never really had to worry about the "coming out" thing because it was just common knowledge among my friends and they've always been open minded and loving. (*hug*)

With my parents on the other hand, I'm not sure if they /know./
    My moms a pretty open minded person and even dated women for some years through out her life before finally marrying my stepdad, and whenever she jokes about me find someone to date she also includes girls, though I'm never sure if she's being serious.
    My dad on the other hand, he's a pretty old school catholic dude so I'm never sure where he's at on the whole topic of same sex relationships.

I guess what I'm trying to get to is if I should "officially" come out to my parents? :confused:

I can't say I'm afraid of their reaction or if they'll treat me any differently because I'm actually not, but I'm wondering if doing so will make /me/ personally feel better about who I am.

Anyone had any similar experiences where you just had to make it official?
    Or how did it feel once you were out to the people who mattered the most?

2. Lyana

I think your parents sound like they'll be fine with it -- especially your mother, who may already know, but even if she doesn't, she'd be super accepting. I came out to my mother because I wanted to, so maybe you should wait for that feeling -- not the "I have to come out," but "I want them to know."

As to how it felt... kind of awful at first, because she wasn't exactly thrilled about it, but now I'm so glad she knows. It's a relief. I don't feel any different about myself, though -- still as comfortable as I was before. You sound pretty comfortable, too, so I don't think it will change much in that respect.

3. Im Hazel

Try bringing up the topic over dinner. Just casually mention an LGBT issue and see how your family reacts. As Lyana said, your mom sounds fine with the whole thing, but your step-dad could be a little less accepting. Just test his reactions - maybe ask about the new religious freedom law in Indiana?