1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

your experiences of coming out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by anon991, Apr 14, 2015.

1. anon991

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think I'm probably gay or bi and I'd love to come out except most of the people I know are extremely homophobic. It would be nice to hear what reactions you guys got when you came out, even if it was bad

2. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You said most of the people you know are homophobic, but that kind of suggests a few might not be, in which case I would begin by talking to them. When you are planning to come out, it's good to build up alliances and a supportive group of people who you can turn to if/when you get a bad reaction.

Don't assume that people will react badly, even if they have made awkward or homophobic comments in the past. I know it's hard to believe, but some people will change their tune when someone they know turns out to be gay or bi. Many people base their homophobic opinions on stereotyped ideas about LGBT people that are far removed from reality.

Even if someone reacts badly at first, don't think that's it. Reading this may help you to understand why parents/family/friends sometimes react with initial hostility:
    Empty Closets - Parent and Family Stages of Grief

Since you are in the UK, it might be worth checking out and bookmarking this website.Home FFLAG is a charity that offers support to relatives and friends of LGBT people.