1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I told my stepmum

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Cubiculum, Apr 14, 2015.

1. Cubiculum

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Following on from:
    http://emptyclosets.com/forum/coming-out-advice/174930-advice-i-want-tell-my-stepmum.html

Today I told her. I wanted to be upfront about it.

"Yesterday at the dinner table, I lied."
    "About what?"
    "My sexuality.."

Then I explained biromanticism to her. She wasn't exactly 'give me a big hug' but she didn't take it negatively. She basically said 'okay' and that was that.

She did, however, say "remember you're 14, your feelings may change over time" I was too glad about the positive reaction to reply to that. She likes to think she's right, and I didn't want to start an argument thirty seconds after telling her something huge.

She's promised not to tell my dad, but she has told me that I will have to tell him eventually (obviously). She has tried to reassure me that he is not homophobic, just uneducated. We'll see what happens when the time comes.

Overall, decent reaction and now things are getting a bit better for me :grin:

2. Ortensia

Ortensia Guest

Congrats :slight_smile: that's a huge step! And her reaction was certainly encouraging. Yay you :grin:

3. BonnieJ2604

You are so lucky to have such a positive reaction, I do recommend staying vigilant and open about your feelings

4. Im Hazel

Well done! It is good to have someone support you. Good luck in the future.(*hug*)

5. 404dotexe

"remember you're 14, your feelings may change over time"

As true as that is, I think she is in a slight denial, although my dad acted similarly, the difference is I'm 17 nearly an adult

6. BreannaToBrian

Congrats! I wish the best for you in the future! :thumbsup: