1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out to Mom, who told everyone.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by abandonedsocks, Apr 14, 2015.

1. abandonedsocks

So I came out to my mother, who then apparently the next day told my sister and father. She'd asked if she could talk to someone about it, and I said I wouldn't say yes or no, but to use her own judgement. I figured she wouldn't tell, to be honest, or at least wait a bit. My sister told me they knew, she was fine with it. Supposedly my dad said he just wants me to be happy, though he hasn't contacted me (though he normally doesn't anyway). My mom, however, decided she wasn't going to talk to me (she was "busy) for four days, until I finally just called a few times and she picked up and admitted she has been "having a hard time with it. She wants me to "Focus on the last couple weeks of school." but I can't focus on anything but the fact that I'm going to go home to a house full of people dealing with their sibling/child being transgender.

Is there anything I can say to make it easier, fill her with info, anything? I have no idea what to do with it. Apparently both my sister and father have told her to "not worry, or overthink it", but that's what she specializes in. :confused:

2. Im Hazel

I'm sorry to hear that you got outed, but I am glad that it went fairly well. You could try to some resources. When I told my mom, her main problem was lack of information. I am not sure if you can get BBC iPlayer over in the states, but there was a really good Louis Theroux documentary on transgender people. Apparently it was remarkably unslanted (according to my dad). The fact that he recommended it to me twice - before and after I came out to him - suggests that it is worth watching anyway. Apart from that, there are tonnes of websites out there which you can direct her too. There is a thread stickied in this forum about that, so you could direct her to some of those links. In terms of making it easier, say you would like to see your GP about it (if that is the case.) My mom took great solace from that fact, for some odd reason. But, really, she should be making it easy for you, not the other way round.