1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I regret coming out...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by fragileflame, Apr 16, 2015.

1. fragileflame

I regret coming out so my sister...but not for the reason you may think. I regret it because she is moving far away in two weeks and I came out to her because I wanted to come out to someone who is actually in my life...and I just realized she was moving in just 2 weeks i broke down..Any advice on how I'm feeling? anything will help right now..

2. Ortensia

Ortensia Guest

Hi there. Try to think about it this way- there's no real harm done in her knowing, and you've taken a very difficult and important step in coming out to her, so well done you. It's fantastic progress. Plus, I take it she didn't react badly :slight_smile:

Just because she wont live near you doesnt mean she wont be in your life. She's your sister after all, and you should still be able to communicate. Maybe if you tell her you're in need of support she'll make sure keeping in regular contact with you is high on her priority list. I'm sure she'll be there for you, honestly, and it must be relieving that she at least knows?

Is there anyone closer to home you could talk to? Friends, other family members who will be active in your life and supportive? If not, there's always the option of counsellors or even some forms of LGBT support group type things, not sure what they're called, but that could be something to look into for more support. And if all else fails, you've always got EC!

Sending you many hugs :slight_smile: xx

3. fragileflame

I'm gonna try to talk to her about it...and the LGBT support group thing, I found one but I am too young to drive and I have no one to take me. I can't even be in support of LGBT rights in front of my family, let alone ask to go to a support group!

4. sedgeling

I'm with Ortensia. You should see this as progress, and not a step backwards. I think that you should be able to maintain contact with your sister, even if there isn't physical proximity. My sister and I talk all of the time even though we don't live together, and visiting her means an hour long drive to head over there (and I don't drive). Furthermore, you've taken the first step in coming out, and if there is a friend that you feel safe telling, and know that they will take it well, then that should be slightly easier than telling your sister was.

5. fragileflame

I live in North Carolina and she's moving to Nevada...and honestly I don't have any friends that actually live in North Carolina...and my sister was so easy to come out to, way easier than it would have been to come out to my ex-friends (all very religious)...But tonight I have found myself wanting to just tell my entire family. I just want to be out, completely out. Because my closet is so small and i'm so claustrophobic..

6. whizbang

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Do you think your family would react badly?

7. 2Sides

2Sides Guest

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Just say it was a prank. Like you were joking.

8. jacotime45

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    you shuldnt back out of what you say by saying it is a joke

9. Rubysaphire

Bad move. Dobt recomend. If you say its a joke then next time they will think its a joke. Stay out of the closet. Take it as a step forward. You came out to somebody and they accepted you. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Thats a great thing. I say come out to another whos in your life. Soon itll be easy. But do so only at your own pace of course.

#9 Rubysaphire, May 21, 2016
    Last edited: May 21, 2016