1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mom eavesdropped on my therapy session

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Cutiepop, Apr 16, 2015.

1. Cutiepop

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Today I had therapy and my therapists's office is in an office building. Today I talked to my doctor about how annoyed I was with my mom not realising I'm gay and denying it also and a bunch of other stuff and how my mom and I have no relationship and I'm not concerned about having one. I also went off about the last fight my mom and I had over her suspecting I am sexually attracted to woman's butts (can you say awkward? Ugh.)

Anyway, after the appointment my mom was acting rude and weird and also really mean. She said she'd walked around the office to use the bathroom and that really freaked me out but I thought nothing of it. I came home and a couple hours later I was laying in bed and she just walked into my room and silently stared me down and then said in a really quiet serious voice, " Are you turned on by girl booties?" I was taken aback and laughed saying no (obvious lie) but now I'm kind of freaked out? She listened through the door and invaded my only place of privacy..my doctor's office.

I can't handle her ignorance and obvious lack of respect and this attitude.

2. Winter Maiden

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That was a complete lack of respect on behalf of your mother. Not respecting your privacy when it matters most?? It's really upsetting just thinking about it. I can't imagine what it's like to have my privacy invaded in such a manner. Were it on less delicate topics then sure it wouldn't have mattered much that she eavesdropped but she crossed the line and then some.
    I'm Diana by the way I'm here if you ever need anyone to talk to (*hug*)

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is beyond appalling.

I would phone your therapist (away from your house) and ask for an emergency check-in with him/her. The therapist should be deeply concerned that anyone could hear through the door what's being said; that in itself is a serious privacy violation but probably also (in the US, anyway) a violation of the HIPPA regulations that guarantee patient medical record privacy.

It might also be worthwhile -- depending on how willing you are to do so -- to directly confront your mom. You could tell her that the whole point of therapy is that it is supposed to be private, that it is one of the most serious boundary violations a person can make to listen in on someone else's therapy session, and that you want to find a way to go to therapy where your mom isn't in the building or within a mile of the building while you're in therapy.

The lack of respect and lack of boundaries some parents have just makes my blood boil.