1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Talking to Parents About Gender

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Reciprocal, Apr 18, 2015.

1. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My parents know and accept that I am queer (actually they guessed so I didn't have to come out) but I really want to open up discussion about gender, especially non-binary. I really want to tell them about my gender but I know they won't understand.

Both my parents are quite liberal but have a lot of misconceptions, it seems. They appear to think that transgender=sex change operations. They also think that there are 2 genders, male and female, and don't know the difference between gender and sex.

I want to try and explain this sort of subject to them and I want them to take me seriously. How can I educate them on gender so I can talk to them about the way I feel?

Thanks,
    Reciprocal

2. Maxey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    My parents are the same way, they are very accepting but also don understand much about different genders. If suggest just talk to them about it an try to explain the differences. If you can, find informative videos on YouTube or articles that can explain it more effectively. You can either brig it up yourself or wait until the subject comes up. Good luck!

3. DragKing692

To my mathematical friend:
    You might think that they would not understand, but you'd be surprised. I was scared about talking about my sexuality to my mom, but she is more understanding than my dad is! Even though is was a different topic, your mom or dad may come through and accept you for your real self, not just the one your parents perceived. Education also helps, so try to read your parents about gender, and specifically yours. You will do fine.
    Best wishes,
    Bernie

4. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks peeps!
    I'm pretty sure my parents will be accepting when they find out more. I'm looking up some articles that I might email to my mum. I sometimes email her news stories and stuff I find interesting, so it won't be too weird. Also, it does come up in conversation occasionally. I'm just a bit nervous, I suppose...

5. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    PFLAG is a source of information useful to explain your sexuality to your parents.

6. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'll check out PFLAG. Thanks!