1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Now a Good Time For Me to Come Out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by qhosti, Apr 18, 2015.

1. qhosti

I've known I'm a lesbian for a long time now and I've come out to some close friends, who some of which outed me to other people without my knowing or consent so I'm still pretty mad about that. I recently came out to someone in my drama department (I'm 16) who is a gay male and he gave me some advice for coming out to my parents. I'm fairly comfortable with people in my school/group of friends knowing; however, my family is a different story. I often find myself breaking down into tears because I'm just tired of having to hide it and not have it just be something that's just a part of me and move on. I'm afraid of what will change if they do find out as I've never been close to any of my family. I was thinking of just telling my mom and leaving it there for awhile but I feel like it'd stress me out so much having to face the reality of my situation, but I can't stand keeping it in much longer. I do have a friend who has a place for me to stay if I do for whatever reason get kicked out. I want to tell them within this year or the next so the friends I've gotten so close too through drama will be there with me when I fully do come out to my family. Is it a good idea to just get it over with because I'm tired of hiding it or should I suck it up until I'm in a possibly more stable situation I really don't know.

2. nohalos

Hello! Welcome to EC!

Hiding your true self from your family really is tough. In my opinion, I would ask myself if I was ready for a negative reaction. It's great that you have a place to stay over if you do get rejected by your family, but are you ready to face the music if stuff goes down? You have to think of yourself, not them, as it is yourself you're talking about.

Maybe you can gauge out what their reaction might be. Drop a few hints here and there. If you feel like it's a little volatile, and you're uneasy with that, wait a little while longer.

I really want you to think about your readiness for whatever comes before you do anything. For the meantime, it's best to surround yourself with people who love you.

Good luck!

3. RedLynx

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi! Coming out to family esp. parents really depends on their openness and if you are ready and sure about yourself. Just be responsible and don't be afraid of rejection. If they do reject you, which i hope they wouldn't, just prove to them that being different isn't an abnormality. Don't hate people who can't accept you, just let them be, but don't let them get you down. Do good in life, study, don't sulk in the corner in self-pity, surround yourself with people who accept you and know your worth, which i believe you already have.