1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Struggling to come out to my cousin. She will be the 1st person I tell. Advice???

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by SubZero, Apr 18, 2015.

1. SubZero

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Even at 21, I'm still unsure if I'm gay or bi. I certainly am not 100% straight because of the feelings I get from certain guys. I have had crushes and even erections from thinking about girls, but my attraction toward guys is a lot stronger. So, l plan on telling one of my female cousins that I'm gay (just to make it simple) sometime in May when this semester is over because I've got finals and other things to worry about at the moment.

However, I've noticed that as it gets closer, on certain days I'll feel confident and I'm almost urgent to tell her my biggest secret that I've kept to myself for so many years. Other days, I feel a sense of guilt and shame and I think to myself, "What am talking about? I can't do this. I can't believe that I even thought I can tell her." It's like a roller coaster - some days I want to tell her, and other days I feel like I can't.

I'm still making it a goal of mine to tell her sometime next month, but how do you actually get the right mind-set and tell yourself you can do it? I feel like she's the perfect person to tell first. I think she'll be understanding and even give me advice, (I hope..). I wouldn't dare tell any of my guy friends (at least not yet). I'm also not ready to tell any of my parents.

How do you push yourself and say, "F*** it! I'm gonna come out of the closet."? Also, did you feel better or worse after you came out to the first person?

2. Kyro

Out Status:
    A few people
    The only mind set you need is to be completely confident in yourself. That doesn't mean you have to be sure of your sexuality, just confident and proud to be yourself. When I came out to some of my close friends I just told them "I like chicks, so yeah." as if it wasn't something very new or shocking to me and they took it well. As long as you know that your cousin will be accepting or at least understanding, then you can come out to her.

3. pgc317

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I totally understand where you're coming from in saying that it's like a rollercoaster. I've explained it that EXACT same way before. It gets annoying; it's like your brain just taunts you with making you feel ready to blurt it out one day and terrified the next. I came out to my first person when I was having one of those idgaf days and I did regret it for a short time after. I guess I wouldn't really call it regret. I just felt extremely awkward around her even though she was 100% supportive. I've been out to her for 6 months now and it's still something we don't really talk about face to face (just texting etc). Anyways, I can't really offer you any advice since I'm in the same boat, but hopefully knowing you're not alone on that rollercoaster helps.

4. SubZero

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks for the reply. I'm glad that your friends took it well. I'm trying to build my confidence so that when the time comes, I can easily and proudly say "I'm gay." It's just scary sometimes because a lot of LGBT people don't know how others will react when they come out. I just gotta go for it...

Thanks, it's nice to know that I'm not alone with this mentality. Like you said, I just have to come out when I have one of those IDGAF days. I think it'll definitely be difficult since I haven't told anybody yet, but I hope that by coming out to one person, I can easily open up to more people eventually.

5. SubZero

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Bump.

Well, school's over for this semester and I still plan on coming out to my cousin sometime this week. She lives about 45 min away, but I'm going to text her to ask if I can speak to her in person. However, I'm unsure of how to actually bring this topic up when I see her. Do I just bluntly say, "I'm gay." ? I'm getting to the point where I'm more comfortable being who I am, but I'm still nervous because I haven't told anybody before. I can't even picture what the outcome is gonna be, even though I think she'll be understanding/supportive. Advice?

6. Awesome

In college in Massachusetts, from Pennsylvania
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Here is how I came out to my mom: I started a conversation that was pretty normal but connects with my being gay. In my case, it was about the social environment at my old school and how it compared to that of my new school. (People at my old school already treated me differently because I didn't force myself to be exactly like everyone else. Being perceived as gay made it worse.) Then I slowly got more specific until eventually I had backed myself into a corner. I reached a point where I told myself, "I can't wimp out now." And then I had an impulsive moment and told her. Maybe you could try something like that. Good luck. :thumbsup:

7. blossoms

blossoms Guest

When I came out to my parents, I felt the exact same way - confident one day and then the next terrified. The thing that changed was that I just grew more confident in myself and in who I was, and said to myself, right, tomorrow I'm going to just suck it up and tell them, no matter what because I'm tired of hiding. I started with the typical "Can I talk to you about something quite personal?" and then just went from there! Everyone's different though, some people prefer the blunt and to the point "I'm gay" but others prefer the whole making sure the person they're coming out to understands it's important and maybe hard to say.

Good luck! I hope everything goes well for you! :slight_smile:

8. Manitoban

First couple people I made this elaborate plan in my head of how I should do it. In the end I just had my heart pounding and all I could really do is blurt it out.

So unless you think you're going to be cool with it I suggest to keep it short. Indicate you got something serious to tell them, and go for it and say ""I like guys" or "I'm bisexual" or "I'm gay" or... you get the point.

After that just try to answer their questions if they have them. If you don't know just say that.

If however your not freaking out right then maybe you can actually do the thought out way...

9. anann

As was mentioned above I backed myself into a corner in the conversation. I knew I wanted to go through with it and, whether or not I actually believed it, I knew the person in question would be understanding and supportive. I wish I could tell you how I got myself into the corner but I don't remember. I think a lot of it was not conscious effort. Going to visit her from that far away may help if she is wondering why you went. Good luck and I'm sure you can do it.

10. SubZero

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks for the advice, Awesome, blossoms, and Manitoban. Lately, I've been convincing myself that I can do this and I'm not going to back out now. I'll tell her sometime very soon. I just hope it goes well, but we'll see...

Thanks also for sharing your personal stories. Glad it all worked out! :slight_smile:

Edit: anann, you posted the same time I was writing this reply. Thanks, too, for the advice. :slight_smile: