1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay in small/conservative communities...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by InbornGame, Apr 20, 2015.

1. InbornGame

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Been lurking here for a while now, figure it's about time I ask a question...

Basically, I grew up and currently live in a rural and pretty conservative part of Colorado, and I work in a pretty conservative field and am entering a pretty conservative profession. I came out a little over a year ago to my family, friends, and some coworkers. My friends were super cool, my family kinda quietly accepts it...it's definitely not something we talk about. I feel like I'm stuck, though, when it comes to meeting other people and relationships and sex and so on. I want (badly) all of these things...and I feel guilty for not pursuing them--like I'm allowing potentially happy years of my life to pass me by. But at the same time, I also feel guilty when I try to do something about it--as if pursuing sex or a relationship or even just a friendship with another gay male makes me some sort of deviant, even though I know, logically, at least, that this is ridiculous.

So, I guess my question is: has anyone else had similar experiences with coming out in small, tight-knit, conservative places, and, if so, what (if anything) helped you get through it?

2. mangotree

The 3 things that helped me were -
    * moved out of the small town and into a city
    * made some platonic gay friends (couples mostly)
    * went out to some gay pubs and clubs with the gay friends - felt the fear and did it anyway - though in the back of my mind I knew that they'd help me and protect me if the need arose

Having gay friends (especially couples) can help you realise how normal gay people are. Normal - meaning that every one of them are varying and unique in every area of life just like the rest of the world's population.

3. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are plenty of gay men in Denver, flying weather is usually quite good, and radar works for you, not against you. Get a fast car, or a pilot's license and a used Cessna 152 or Skyhawk. When you get better established, move to Denver. Bright lights, big city.