1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nagging religious family and friends...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Chibi Giraffe, Apr 20, 2015.

1. Chibi Giraffe

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So I recently came out to some aunts (I'm pretty sure they spread the news to everyone else). None of them are accepting of my "decision" to be gay, which I expected. but a few of them are more than non-accepting, they are trying to convert me. After talking on the phone with one of my aunts, it's obvious that they are merely ignorant LGBT-issues and concerns. All they care about is what the bible says about it, even after i tried explaining that i don't believe in it.

I'm not out to anyone outside my family (except my ex-pastor, but that's a long awful story...). I really want to be out to everyone, whether they accept me or not, but I feel like i can't move on because I everyone sees me as the "good church-boy". Coming out as the "atheist gay-heathen" will tear apart many of the relationships I currently have.

How can i stop/prevent the annoying text messages, facebook tags, and awkward phone calls without being a dick about it?

2. mangotree

You're very brave.

You appear to have a few choices regarding the messages, facbook, phonecalls etc...
    * Ignore them completely (caller ID etc...).
    * Listen to / read them just to satisfy your family's apparent self-righteousness but don't take any of it to heart
    * Listen to / read them and take it all to heart and stress out about it / get into fights and debates etc..

With regards to your friendships/relationships and being a "good church boy".
    Friends come and go but there are a precious few that you should hold on to. Those are the ones that love you unconditionally and who you can be your authentic self with.

3. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do what you need to do. Let them be "the dicks" about it, if that is what they want to do. Ignorant can be fixed; stupid last a lifetime and can't be fixed, but it can be ignored.