1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I like a girl but I'm straight? Don't know how to tell family

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Precious280, Apr 20, 2015.

1. Precious280

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Hey everyone! So I'm new to this site entirely but im just so confused so I thought I would give this a shot.

So I am a 24 year old female who has always been straight. Until lately. Previous im my life, I had a long term relationship with a guy that was 2 years older than me. We were together for 6 years and then he gradually began to fall out of love with me but I was so crazy for him. He ended up breaking it off. It broke me entirely. I felt like my whole world was shattered. I couldn't eat, sleep or think for a little over a year. I gave him all of me. I did everything I could for him but it just wasn't good enough I guess. He would contact me here and there after the break up saying he missed me and loved me still and we were sexually involved still even after the break up (I know stupid me). I ended up separating myself from him completely (about a little less than a year ago).

I got a job at a mall about half a year ago and my coworkers and I got so close. They are like a family to me. I went to a house party with all my coworkers one night about 5 months ago. We all had an awesome time and have been close ever since. But during this party one of my coworkers kept looking at me and smiling. But it wasn't just any smile. It was a flirty and cute smile that I soon came to realize I was attracted to that night. I was drunk but I didn't care. To my surprise the person I was attracted to was a girl (she's lesbian). We spoke all night. She smiled and laughed and gave me such an enticing look that I was so attracted to. The next morning, I replayed the night in my head and realized that I was still thinking about this girl. So I texted her and she said that we were flirting all night and she hopes we still talk. And ever since that day we've been talking. she told me she had a crush on my since the first day I walked in the store to apply. She had a girlfriend for 3 months but they ended up breaking up and she just gradually continued pursuing me, and to my surprise I allowed it. We have seen and hung out with each other everyday for the past almost 4 months. I have grown close to her family and friends but most importantly, her.

We have also been sexual with each other for the past 2 months. I love it! She is so attentive and loving and caring to me. She expresses how she feels a lot and always does cute things for me. She got me flowers one day just because. When I had a really bad day and went home to cry, she took a bus all the way to my house just to comfort me. When I talk, she listens and gives me advice. She is 21 and I am 24. It's really interesting because I only like dating people older than me and men at that LOL. She does have immature tendencies sometimes(not big things) but Im assuming she will mature like I have. Either way, she's so good to me and does everything my ex didn't. She said she never wants to let go. And she told me a couple days ago that she fell in love with me.

I couldn't say it back because I'm not in love with her yet. And this is why im writing this now. I need help. She's so good but I can't really find it in myself to love her back. I feel like I'm on a cliff and I'm on the verge of love but I can't push myself off that ledge to fall in love already. Is it because she's a girl and I don't want to fall in love with a girl because I just recently entered the LGBT world? But isn't that shallow to end it with someone who is so good to you just because they're not what you're used to? I've told my close friends and coworkers about her already. Most were supportive. Some were not. Some said it was a phase and I just wanted attention. I'm terrified because if that's what some of my close friends say, what about my parents and family who I havent told yet??? My cousin is gay and he came out a while ago and my family took it well, except his mom. She's still in denial. I'm afraid my parents will be in denial too and they mean everything to me and I mean everything to them. they love me so much. But I don't know what to do. Am I hesitant because I'm new to this lifestyle and preference, or am I holding back because I don't want to be broken and hurt again, or am I holding back because I don't want to be denied anymore? If I let her go, I know I'll alwyss think what if? Maybe i stay because I'm filling the void of emptiness that my ex left in me? But I do really feel for her. If I ever saw her with another girl, I would probably burn with envy. What could it be that's making me feel stuck and making it hard for me to just jump into this?I don't think its a phase but am I wrong?? PLEASE HELP

2. Rapha Lover

Very interesting your case!

1 - Unfortunately, end of relationships is not easy for anyone! You loved this guy and you try ever to back with him, but don't work. It's all right now, forget about this, ok? :grin:

2 - It seems like that girl who loves you is so adorable! She's take care your always you need and love you so much, but you is insure about this love and a suppose future relationship between you! You know that only true friends will stay in your side regardless of your sexuality orientation and about your family, the most important is mother and father support at first time, because if you and this girl start and relationship, the world still homophobic and have a family who support and take care about you is important.

3 - Go ahead! If this make your happy, why not? Experiment new things! Maybe this girl could make you happy than more your ex-boyfriend!

Anyway, be happy! :slight_smile:

#2 Rapha Lover, Apr 20, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  3. Precious280

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Thank you so much!!! I really appreciate your feed back. I Just feel so lost and im not 100% sure how to go about this. Your advice means a lot!!

---------- Post added 20th Apr 2015 at 01:23 PM ----------

Also, I've realized that when ever her and I disagree on something, I always make it a mission to argue with her and I don't get why!!!! I think it's because I'm self sabotaging the relationship before it gets good and I'm scared to get hurt. I know it's dumb but i don't know why I do that :frowning2:

4. woahthatsboring

Maybe you are scared that she'll hurt you like your ex but you can't always live life in a bubble. This girl you described seems like a sweetheart and if she's so good to you, who cares whether she's a man or woman. I know it's cliche but love is love and she does seem very into you. Don't let a good thing go :slight_smile: Since you mentioned that she is a lesbian, I'm guessing she's already out so perhaps you should tell her your struggles so she knows why your mood might change or why you may seem uptight or in secret. Being in the closet and in a realtionship can be stressful for the other person too so just remember that you have her in your corner, don't be afraid to come out. If you're into this woman, I'm sure in time your family will accept you. Can't really picture your sexuality just yet but that's okay too. Everything comes to terms in time. Good luck, you got yourself a great girl :wink:

5. sedgeling

Communication. Communication. Communication.

That is the big three of any sort of relationship. I honestly think that you should have a chat to her about some of your concerns that you're having as far as coming out. As someone who has been the closeted one in a relationship, I can't stress enough the importance of talking to the person that you're dating. They most likely will be understanding of the experiences that you're having, and they really deserve to not be blind-sided when you bring up things that have been bothering you for a long while before you even mention it.

Furthermore, I think that there is a strong possibility that you're just scared about this turning out badly. I get how that is. I'm fairly self-destructive as far as relationships go, and sometimes we want to let someone go before they have a chance to hurt us. However, I think that you should open up to her and tell her about the old relationship and how it has affected you. She deserves to know things that can offer insight into your behavior, and really, transparency just makes everything so much easier.

Just talk, and be smart about things.

6. Precious280

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious

Awwww thank you so much. You don't know how much it means to me that you spoke your mind. I value your opinion so much! I value everyones!! I'm so glad I found this forum. I actually did speak to her about all my worries and she said I can take all the time I need to overcome it and that she'll be right there by my side along the way. I know she's great. I'm just so scared. I've lost so much in my life already. Especially in my last relationship. I gave so much of myself that I lost myself in the process and I don't want that happening again. I also argue with her and try to self sabotage the relationship before she can hurt me only because I'm scared she will hurt me and because she made me realize I'm not straight so I have anger towards her that she showed me a side of me I can't ignore and that with this side comes loss. Loss of support. Loss of friends and family. I already lost friends that I thought were my best friends becuase they didn't really take me seriously and I know they talk behind my back. So, if those are my best friends acting that way, who knows about my family?? But im grateful she showed me this side. Although it comes with loss, it also comes with knowledge of self. Because of her I learned more about herself so I am grateful. I'm not mad at her. I just act it to push away from this situation but it's a situation I can't ignore. And I care about her so im going to have to face the loss and face rejection but it's who I am. If no one accepts it, I guess that they didn't truly love me to begin with. But it just hurts because I love them all so much.

7. Precious280

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious

I'm going to copy and paste my response from the post right before you because it corresponds with your answer too. Thank you so much. I appreciate it you have no clue:

Awwww thank you so much. You don't know how much it means to me that you spoke your mind. I value your opinion so much! I value everyones!! I'm so glad I found this forum. I actually did speak to her about all my worries and she said I can take all the time I need to overcome it and that she'll be right there by my side along the way. I know she's great. I'm just so scared. I've lost so much in my life already. Especially in my last relationship. I gave so much of myself that I lost myself in the process and I don't want that happening again. I also argue with her and try to self sabotage the relationship before she can hurt me only because I'm scared she will hurt me and because she made me realize I'm not straight so I have anger towards her that she showed me a side of me I can't ignore and that with this side comes loss. Loss of support. Loss of friends and family. I already lost friends that I thought were my best friends becuase they didn't really take me seriously and I know they talk behind my back. So, if those are my best friends acting that way, who knows about my family?? But im grateful she showed me this side. Although it comes with loss, it also comes with knowledge of self. Because of her I learned more about herself so I am grateful. I'm not mad at her. I just act it to push away from this situation but it's a situation I can't ignore. And I care about her so im going to have to face the loss and face rejection but it's who I am. If no one accepts it, I guess that they didn't truly love me to begin with. But it just hurts because I love them all so much.