1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out as a trans male

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ItsAshton, Apr 22, 2015.

1. ItsAshton

Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello, my name is Ashton. I go by Ash, as to not change anything by my family. I am a transgender male. I want to go through a transition, as right now i am in a females body. I am 19, and living with my grandparents, one of which doesn't even know i like women. I want to tell my family that i am a boy, but i don't know how to come out. Both of my parents are very christian, but after a while, accepted that i like women. They still refer to me as Ashlynn, with female pronouns. I would like to change that, but i am afraid they will not accept it and they will continue calling me female pronouns. Should i wait till i live with my girlfriend under my own roof or should i come out now, and risk my grandparents getting upset? I highly doubt they would throw me out. at least, not my grandma. I'm not sure about my grandpa. I want to start gender therapy and talking to my doctor about going through a transition, but i would like to do that openly, and not hidden behind their backs. Does anyone have any tips, or advice about this? I am very nervous of even the thought of coming out to them. :frowning2: :bang:

2. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
  3. Lawlett

Lawlett Guest

I know exactly how you feel, Ash. I too am a trans*male with a Christian family, though I'm asexual. I haven't come out yet either and want to transition as soon as possible but don't know how to go about doing that.

For me, I've decided that I won't "come out" until I'm a legal adult and have moved out. This way I won't be dependent on anyone. For now, I'm just finally allowing myself to be more masculine. I stopped pretending to be bothered when people "mistake" me for a guy. I cut my hair short, and wear androgynous clothes. If people ask, I just say that I don't like girly things.

But even all of this is not enough with gender dysphoria, and there is a lot more I'd like to do but cannot because I'm still living under my parents' roof. Personally, I would say wait until you can get on your feet before making the decision to medically transition. Though you could ask yourself, will it help if your grandparents know now or later? Or will it just make matters worse? Is there any benefit to coming out sooner rather than later?

Hope this helps,
    -Lawlett