1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

lgbt group

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ccdd, Nov 22, 2008.

1. ccdd

ccdd Guest

Just found out that my uni has a forum for LGBT students...(not as good as EC of course)...where I can chat anonymously...also, I could, which I've been thinking about, email my lgbt rep. I've been thinking about going to some events or whatever - but to go to those would in themselves be a sort of coming out!!!!

Also, I know from facebook that I have some mutual friends with the lgbt rep. Although, actually, all the mutual friends are people I'm out to who are also lgbt... but like, I don't know whether to email her or not because it just feels so pathetic. And what would I say? Actually, I think I will - I mean, I don't need to go to any events, but it's part of her post to be confidential I presume, and she's in a position to advise me of things and support in the university. So might be a good thing. For some reason I've put off doing this for ages, but it might be helpful... ahh... will think about it. It's just that contacting an lgbt rep is like admitting that I am actually gay or bisexual, which is really weird! I mean, I felt like that when I joined EC, but this is a lot more close to home...

OK, don't know if this belongs in this section or not but I'm just not sure whether to contact her or not??? But then, what can I lose, right??

2. EM68

I would contact them. It would not hurt to talk to someone face to face. I've been going to PFLAG meeting for the past few months. As much as I love talking with people on EC, its also good to talk to people face to face. It is completely different, it mad everything more real to me. I found it very helpful.

3. starfish

I completely understand what you are saying.

I'm thinking about going to the local PFLAG meeting next month. However it kind of scares me to open open about this and let others know who I am. That kind of makes it real. I've still got a couple of weeks to work up the courage though.

4. EM68

One thing about PFLAG, is that everything talked about the meeting is kept confidential.

5. thespanishheart

My school doesn't have any of these :tears:

6. Psychedelic Bookmarks

I would go for it. You know it will make you feel better. You can do it (*hug*) Courage!

7. ccdd

ccdd Guest

So I emailed my LGBT rep...I don't know if/when she'll answer...I suppose sometime next week. It was a very brief message, just introducing myself, as I realised that either it would be a short email or a really, really long one! I just kind of said that I'm at the stage where it'd be really useful for me to be able to speak to her or someone else, either in person or over email, just to be able to talk about stuff.

I will let you know how it all goes, and whether I manage to ever get up the courage to go to one of the LGBT social events!

8. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi! I think it's great that you have sent the e-mail. I am positive that there will be someone in the group that will want to talk with you as well. In my experience, people who went or are going through similar things, are willing to share their experiences, and it really does help to talk to someone face to face.

I'm sure you will get the courage to join of the social events. The first one is always the tough one, but it becomes easier after that and before you know it you will have participated in a couple of events. :slight_smile:

Good Luck! I hope you will hear from her soon....

9. Bryan

It is a big decision for you, because if you are going to GLBT events in the community, you are presenting your self as gay to the GLBT community. While this is 100x easier than coming out to the whole community, it is still a step. I would recommend it, just because it is a nice stepping stone to fully coming out... just make sure you are ready for it.

10. ccdd

ccdd Guest

Thanks guys! Well, I emailed her, and she's emailed me back! She's really supportive, and says that support is really why she's there...and she also offered some advice and spoke a bit about her experiences etc. Anyways, I'd said I wanted to talk to her, so she's said it's up to me how I want to do it. The LGBT group has drop-in sessions during the week which she says she's at, so I might pop along next week so I can meet up with her... I'm actually quite excited now, although it's weird, because I'll be talking to someone who's not a friend about being gay - so I suppose a bit like EC but face-to-face. I haven't really spoken about it face-to-face with people who aren't already my friends, and I think it might be helpful, as she doesn't know me yet so I'm not worried about what she might think or how it'll affect our friendship or whatever. I mean, it's a blank slate, and presumably she was elected to this post for a reason? - She sounds nice and friendly anyhow. Hopefully it'll be helpful for me and I'll make a new friend; and even if I don't, then maybe I'll eventually meet some other people too as I become more confident.

I'll keep you informed!

11. Ruthel

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Good luck!! :slight_smile:

12. silas99

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Wow go for it ccdd. Soon you'll be flying a rainbow flag out your window ;-). They have a similar scheme in place at my uni, and I'm sure it gives a lot of support to many people. Unfortunately I know a lot of the people there (through sport) so it wouldn't really be so confidential! (my small steps seem to involve standing still at the moment)

13. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sounds like it could be cool. Let us know how it goes!

Lex

14. Psychedelic Bookmarks

I hope it goes really well!! :grin: