1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How should I go about coming out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Akira12, Apr 24, 2015.

1. Akira12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So the few times ive been with my mom alone I've wanted to come out to her but every time I back down at the last minute cause I'm still afraid to do so even though I know for the most part shed accept me. She might be a bit upset that I'm not what she envisioned for me and such but she's still love me i know that much. How do you suggest I do so? I'm still tetering on the edge of am I gay or not but for 96% I wanna say yes so that means I am yes? It's so terrifying to come out lol. Also how do I come up with a comeback to its a phase or it's the fanfictions influencing me or something?

#1 Akira12, Apr 24, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
  2. YermanTom

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just remember being brave is not doing something dangerous, but doing something scary.
    Parents are genetically encoded to love their children, society and religion may give them other ideas. Talking to them and being honest can get you over a lot of problems.
    However not all "coming outs" go well (less than 10%). So put out feelers out about LGBT issues.
    One woman that I knew gave talks on coming out to school kids because her son committed suicide because he was gay. One thing she said was always have a plan B in case things go wrong.
    On the other hand having only come out to my family in my late fifties I found the relief of just being able to be "me" is just so wonderful.
    By the way don't think you are weak for being scared. I trained to become a martial arts black belt (ninja). I've faced people attacking me with swords, no problem. Coming out is the scarcest thing I've done.
    Look after yourself. (*hug*)

3. Akira12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks xD. So I ended up asking her what she would be like if I said I was gay. She told me she would accept me no matter what. She said that it's not the life she invisioned for me but it's my life and she shall have my back no matter what andove me no matter what I decide. She even said my step dad told her that he would accept me no matter what and love me unconditionally. This is understandable the greatest feeling ever to hear those words. She asked me if I had something to tell her and since I'm still a bit questioning a little bit I did I'm not quit sure yet and she laughed and said you'll figure it out eventually ^_^. So once I'm sure of my sexuality 100% then I have the feeling thr if I come out to her nothing really would change. She said she'd be a bit upset which is understandable since it's not what she invisioned the life for me but she'd accept me completley and nothing would change about that. I'm sorta in a euphoric feeling right now lol. Sadly if I told my grandparents I may be disowned. Grandma maybe not but grandpa probably sadly so I think I'll keep it hidden from them which sucks but hey to protect myself you gotta do what you have to right?

4. YermanTom

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm glad things worked out with your mom.
    :thewave:

5. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Your mom and step-dad already knew, so you telling them just makes it more or less "official", even though you didn't actually say the three words (I am gay). You are one of the lucky ones. You have the green light to date other boys without being afraid to talk about it with your parents or bring your friend home with you, not knowing how your parents would react. Enjoy.