1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scared to say I'm bi

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by JazzyB, Apr 24, 2015.

1. JazzyB

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've been identifying as a bisexual woman for less than two years now (and I'm 22). I've only actually been with one other woman and now I have a boyfriend. I'm sure about my orientation but I've been afraid to do anything about it like go to any groups or things like that. I'm scared that they won't take me seriously because I'm dating a guy.
    I don't really have any LGBT friends around that I can talk to and I'm not out to very many people. I don't know exactly what kind of advice or help I need, I just feel like I need to be talking about this, especially since my coming to terms with my bisexuality happened so recently. This is kind of my first attempt at reaching out..

#1 JazzyB, Apr 24, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
  2. Lyana

Hi JazzyB, and welcome. I'm also a young bisexual woman and it's awesome that you signed up here if you feel the need to talk.

First off, your present relationship doesn't define your sexuality. Hell, even someone's past relationships don't always define their sexuality. Being with a guy doesn't invalidate your bisexuality and any decent member of an LGBT group should acknowledge that.
    I'd never had a relationship with a girl when I joined the LGBT group on campus. In fact, I'd just gotten out of a relationship with a guy. It's not like you go to these groups, stand up, and have to roll out your entire sexual and relationship history, with printed proof. I don't even know the orientation of most of the people in my group -- they could be straight, gay, bi, or anything else for all I know. We do talk about relationships, coming out, homophobia (and lots of completely unrelated topics) but we're not focused on each member's specific orientation.
    I really enjoy the meetings and have attended them regularly since my first, and would encourage you to at least try going to one meeting. You've got nothing to lose. If you don't like it, just don't go again. And if anyone tries to give you crap over your orientation, leave. They're not worth your time.
    And if you don't think you're quite ready yet for real life LGBT stuff, then just stick around here. We're awesome.

Being bi is great. Don't let anyone make you think otherwise, JazzyB.