1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I come out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by GreenDianthus, Apr 25, 2015.

1. GreenDianthus

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So I really want to come out at my school, but I'm not sure it would be a smart move.

Im a senior with about 6 weeks left of school, and I go to an international private christian school that, to my knowledge, has never had an openly gay student before. Most of the teachers and students would not be accepting, but about a third of both would, and almost everyone there doesn't really know anything about lgbt beyond stereotypes and that the bible says that anything not straight is wrong (or so is taught).

I am worried about not being accepted, but my bigger worry is the (small, i think?) possibility of being kicked out or forced to go back into the closet by the administration. From what I know since this is a private school that doesn't receive government money, they can pretty much do whatever they want as far as kicking people out for any reason they choose (correct me if im wrong).

I am really tired of pretending to be straight when I have come to a place where I am happy being gay and am out to some of my family, but i am worried about getting kicked out (which would probably affect my grades-- and therefore scholarships for college). Any advice would be very appreciated! :slight_smile:

2. IcarusRising

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    The first question you should ask is would it be safe to do so

3. nohalos

I think it's far too risky to even come out right now, especially given your conditions.

Since school is almost over, maybe you should just wait until it is actually over. By then, you'll be free as you want to be, and I hope the college/university you will attend will be a far more accepting institution than your high school.

Also, it could be a lot worse if these people are as hateful as you describe them to be. Not only there's a risk of heavy discrimination, you might actually get roughed up by the students there, and the administration might turn a blind eye on you.

Finally, are you out to your immediate family? Are they accepting of you? If the odds are against you in the family, then coming out to school would even give you more problems at home.

It's hard to keep this to yourself, but please do hold on a little more longer. College will be better, I can say that from my experience.

Good luck.

4. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Seriously? You are six weeks away from graduation. It would be nuts to expose yourself to all these unknown consequences of coming out for 6 weeks of what should be a peaceful end to high school. Think in terms of entering college as "out", so you can make friends there who will support you, safely away from any adverse retributions any of your previous high school associates or their faculty might want to vest upon you. If you want to tell selected friends about yourself after you are out, there are plenty of ways to do it after you are in college using social media.

5. GreenDianthus

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah I guess it would be silly not to wait a few weeks until graduation... :/ Thanks for the input guys and gal

PS: I can't imagine I would be at any risk of physical harm, Im friends with many of the students and they're all are pretty good people, sans the homophobia/lgbt stereotyping

6. ToneDef

ToneDef Guest

I wouldn't chance it. You're weeks away from graduating. While it's something that I agree could be dangerously fun (pondering consequences and taking chances is fun, I know. ;P), I would advise against that. They could potentially hold your diploma until they "fix" the "situation"… or whatever. I'm just saying, you deserve to be happy, like anyone else. Don't put unneeded stress on yourself. :slight_smile: The reward may not be worth the effort.