1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out worries

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by camorri, Apr 26, 2015.

1. camorri

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hey guys. So I've recently been struggling a lot with the idea of coming out... my last attempt went something along the lines of bringing up the topic of bisexuality with my mother, who went on to say, "Well, I don't think bisexuality really exists, it's just something people say when they're indecisive."

A few of my friends and other family members have expressed similar sentiments over the years re: bisexuality, so I'm kind of terrified to actually come out as bi. I feel like people won't believe me or they'll dismiss it as a "phase", since I'm currently not in a committed relationship with a man or a woman. (And I've never really had a serious boyfriend or girlfriend before.) At the same time, I hate hiding it and just feel like there's this part of me closed off from everyone.

I'm not really sure what to do, or how to best approach the conversation. I just have a feeling my mother is going to be completely dismissive. :frowning2:

2. Im Hazel

Well, even if she is dismissive, at least she will know if you introduce a girlfriend. And, do you need her approval at this stage? As long as she won't disown you, then does it really matter if she doesn't believe you? In my opinion, self-acceptance - and knowing you are right - makes other people's non-acceptance fade.

3. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey Camorri, welcome to EC

You don't need to prove your point to anyone if you don't want to. If you come out as bi and the person thinks that Bi is just a phase, you may let them think that. At least you came out to that person, you know you told him/her the truth.

If you like to "fight", like me, you may present the person some resources, like this:

The Bisexual Index | Welcome to the Index!

Hugs