1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay christians

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by xxmikeyyxx, Nov 23, 2008.

1. xxmikeyyxx

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Are there any gay christians, ino most lgbt ppl throw religion out the window because there self reconciling with their sexuality, but are there any gay christians who would like to tell stories or give advie about comming out to your church.

2. Daakota

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm a gay Christian. I'm not out at my church, but my church is gay-affirming. As a Christian, I remember that I answer to God and no one else. I have read a lot of books about the verses people use against the gay people and seen opposing sides of what mainstream ideals say. I believe in the more liberal ideals that are gay-affirming. We are all sinners, and so we all fall short of God's word, regardless. I don't listen to what people that are against homosexuals say, because they are not God and they do not know for sure what the Bible says. I could go on about this subject as it interests me.

3. boredofnormal

I'm a gay christian. I've been to Seminary, have worked in the ministry for many many years, but that is because I've been in the closet.

Unfortunately most churches won't accept you for who you are, if who you are includes being gay.
    I'm out to the pastor of the church I've been attending. He has decided to not tell anyone else 'because it would hurt the people and the church'. I think He's embarrased because he didn't suspect anything and I've been very active and well respected by the people.

I answer to God, not to the church or to the people. When Paul was addressing the church at Rome (Romans Ch 1) he spoke about homosexuality in context with alot of other 'sins'. The bottom line is keeping the whole passage in context with the rest of the book of Romans which deals with freedom from the law and the liberty that the grace of God gives to us. If we could be justified by our own holiness, the Christ would not have died.

We (the gay christians) likely have a long-lonely road ahead of us since many gays don't want to consider the existance of God because of the way christians have treated them and most christians reject gays. Its really hard to find affirming people (gay, bi, straight, whatever) that are willing to deal with you as a whole person....a gay that is a Christian.

Good luck, and my advice is to love and accept people regardless of their stupidity. Most of all, don't blame God for the idiots that call Him 'father'. The Christian church really owes the GLBT community an apology, but I doubt we'll ever see it happen.

Good question, thanks for asking.
    Tim

4. Markio

I'm also somewhat a gay Christian. I say "somewhat" because I don't go to church very regularly, or much at all. I still pray at night to God, believe in his existence, and tend not to take his name in vain.

I'm probably not as Christian as I am just a believer. But I really do like what Jesus said about loving one another as being the most important commandment. And yeah, I think he was the Son of God (or Son of Man, if you prefer the Gospel of Mark). Because I don't go to Church, I guess I can't really give you any advice on coming out to a specific community.

5. RuralMedAU

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I too am a Gay Christian. It would take me forever to post everything I think and could give advice on about this subject. A few things I suggest reading/watching. The documentary "For The Bible Tells Me So" is a great documentary about Homosexuality and christianity. There are also tons of books out there about this subject. If you are searching for a church that you can be openly gay in then I would suggest looking up one on www.gaychurch.org/.

God loves you just the way you are. If you have some questions let me know and I'll send you my email address/IM so we could talk about it.

6. Jim1454

I'm in the same boat. I'm the treasurer of my church, and the minister and elders heap praise upon me for doing such a good job with the church books... and I let them. I hope that when I do come out (which I will when my kids are just a little older) I'll be able to change some minds and some hearts about homosexuality. I almost see it as an obligation - to demonstrate to others that it's OK to be gay. And that I can be a good dad, and a valued member of the congregation, regardless of my orientation.

In the mean time, I appreciate the positive message that I get at church on Sunday mornings. I appreciate the fellowship I enjoy with my church family. I appreciate the love and support that my kids feel when they are there. I am really looking forward to the service on Christmas Eve, which ends with us all singing Silent Night by candle light. It's a beautiful tradition which always acts to remind me of the real message of the season.

7. Blaz

Blaz Guest

If you guys remember the pastor who came out against prop 8, he was my pastor for 13 years until he moved to another church this year(where he would eventually came out). He was an awesome priest who would bring in philosophy, writers and such and apply there views during the homily. I wouldn't say I'm completely christian, but knowing the things I do(and experiencing them. . .I do honestly feel as though I've had some special things happen which will be saved for a later date. . .) it'd be incredibly stupid and ignorant to dismiss anything I have experienced.

I do understand that many people have yet to experience this, but it takes time. . .

8. Peter

I too am a gay Christian, as I posted somewhere else, one of the first people I came out to was a gay ordained minister in a long-term relationship (what the British call a "civil partnership" so as not to say "marriage"). I am a authorized local preacher and am currently preparing a sermon for next Sunday. I see no contradiction between my faith and my sexuality. One day, I would like to come out to the congregation, but I have family objections that I need to respect first. In the mean time, I am going to talk about tolerance next Sunday and challenge the congregation as to who are those whom they would leave out of the Church...
    Remember, if you want to come out to your church, it is not just to challenge them or annoy them. If you come out by allowing this fact about yourself to be known and accepted, I will fully support you. If, on the other hand, you want to throw your sexuality in their face, I would say that I do not believe that is necessary. You should try to talk to someone you trust (possibly your minister/pastor/priest/elder) privately and ask for support and prayer at first. You could also look into support groups, we have a number in the UK here that focus on gay Christians, I am sure there must be something in the US.
    I would also like to recommend a book to anyone who is trying to combine the two, it is a great book called "Coming In - Gay and Lesbians reclaiming the spiritual journey", published by Wild Goose Publications (also known as the Iona community).

9. thespanishheart

I'm Catholic, and I happen to be gay. Whoops lol (*hug*)

10. *sigh* I'm trying to be. I suppose, deep down, I'm sort of an Atheist/Agnostic, but I really don't want to be. I want to believe, partially because I feel like it's a good thing to be somewhat spiritual and partially because it scares the shit out of me to think that this is it, and there's nothing else out there.

11. Amy

Amy

I am almost, almost gay. I am a Christian.

I'll post more later, but here's a teaser: I don't believe in the verbatim beliefs that many have in The Bible, I do not believe in evangelism to the extent that many do, I do not believe in housting beliefs upon others, and I attend a Unitarian Universalist church.

12. Bunny

I'm sorta Christian. Pretty sure there's a God, but I still have my doubts.

13. sisyphusstone

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm Catholic and gay... no big deal!

14. EM68

I'm gay and christian. For I while I was struggling between my faith and being gay. The god I believe in loves everyone. Also I believe that everything happens for a reason and thus for some reason god made me gay. Finally I feel that the bible is NOT the exact word of god.

15. Nixon

used to be a christian

but now a jew

converted before
    I knew I was gay

16. Poring

hehe, aren't we all :slight_smile:

17. Kat22

I am too, Catholic, and I am gay. This summer a group of my friends and I went to church almost every weekend together. There were anywhere from 3 to 6 of us that went everytime, and we are all lesbians. There are some things I disagree with in my church, but I just remember that God didn't create love to be wrong. And God will love me no matter who I love, and he will love my partner as well. :slight_smile:

18. spellbound118

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yep i'm a christian and gay. I don't attend church but i have been christianed and believe in god. Actually made being gay easier to accept, because well he made me like this.

19. tm74

tm74 Guest

ex-Christian and gay - but had some conflicts over it all (no, it wasn't the reason I stepped back from religion)

20. Bryan90

Proud to be Gay and Christian!!