1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by SpaceJayce, Apr 28, 2015.

1. SpaceJayce

I've been certain of my bisexuality for a few years now, and I feel like it's time to let people know. The only problem, is I'm extremely nervous. Signing up to EC alone took me a few days because I was worried someone I knew would know I was on this forum or something. Another issue is I'm unsure of how my parents would react, and since I have to stay with them because they'll be housing me as I move upstate to go to college, that might be an issue. My brother is completely homophobic (he's thirty), but I haven't talked to him since I was thirteen, so I don't know how relevant he'd be to me. My dad would be a bit less accepting than my mother, but I don't even know how I'm going to come out to them when I don't even have the courage to tell my friends.

Any thoughts or advice?

2. SpaceJayce

the double post, but I really plan on doing this soon and I could use the advice. I tried telling someone, anyone but the words literally will not come out of my mouth. :/

3. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey Madisyn,

The best approach is to first say it out loud to yourself, in front of a mirror if that helps. Next, try coming out to acquaintances, not friends, just people you think you can trust with that information. It's so much easier to say the words to them as there are few, if any, emotional ramifications.

Next, with the confidence you gained by telling these acquaintances and without waiting too long, start telling your friends. You will find it easier (not easy, just easier). Get their support, tell them who you are planning on telling next.

The last part, your parents, should, after all this coming out, be somewhat easier. Coming out to your mother first may be easier and when you get her support (I think you will), enlist that support when you tell your dad. As for your brother, who knows, you may be pleasantly surprised, but if you have no relationship with him, it may not be important whether he knows or not.

4. QuecksilverEyes

If you're too scared and can't get a word out when you try to come out it's probably too early for you.
    Try to lose the fear, maybe by bringing up the LGBT Community when you talk to your parents. See how they react. That really helped me and took away the majority of my worries.
    As for your brother: you said yourself that you haven't talked to him in a very long time, and he doesn't seem to live with you anymore so telling him is probably not a priority of yours.
    And people often react differently when it concerns someone they know :slight_smile:

5. SpaceJayce

Thank you so much for your input!! The only thing that I'm worrying about with my mom is that she always stresses how much she wants biological grandchildren, and whether I'm with a man or a woman, I'm not that interested in having sex.
    She'll probably question a lot about that like "What do you mean you're bisexual but you're not interested in having sex?" My dad on the other hand would probably be like "it's a phase you're choosing to be a part of the LGBT community. " so I don't know how to approach either of those. I know it's not a phase, and that I am who I am but translating that into verbal words doesn't really work out haha.