1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to family member

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by BisexualQueen, Apr 29, 2015.

1. BisexualQueen

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I need some advice on coming out to my grandmother. I think she'll take it well because she's always acted positively to the LGBT+ community. I'm just really nervous because this is the first time coming out to someone who I cared what they thought. (I haven't come out to parents due to religious homophobia) My grandmother isn't religious but there's always a chance she won't accept me.

2. BisexualQueen

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I found out I'm going to be alone with her tomorrow and I want to do it as soon as possible. Anyone have advice on how to tell her? (Sorry for posting twice)

3. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The best thing is to remain calm and confident and just get to the point as quickly as possible. The reassurances can come afterwards.

Your grandmother might ask some questions about your sexuality, so try to think about them in advance and consider your response. If you show that you have thought it through and have good answers to any questions she asks, it will demonstrate that it's not a phase or something you are just confused about.

In the same way as we need to come to terms with our sexual orientation, it sometimes happens that family members need time to adjust to our news too, so if your grandmother doesn't react as well as you might hope don't get angry about it or assume it's the end of the matter.

Stay calm and when you tell her, have the contact details for PFLAG to hand.

Good luck. Will you let us know how it goes?

4. BisexualQueen

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Definitely will try to post it in coming out stories! Thanks for the advice.