1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out As Bi

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Pumpion, Apr 29, 2015.

1. Pumpion

I really, really, really want to be out openly as bi, but I just don't know how to do it. I am pretty certain my parents will be supportive, it's just the actual telling them 'hey, I'm bi' thing that gets me nervous. I've tried at different times, such as when pride things have been on the news or when I had a rainbow cake for my 16th birthday, but the words just get lost and I keep quiet.
    And then there's the girl I like and my school which happens to be Catholic that I'm worried about. I understand that there will be judgement if I do come out openly, but I decided to make coming out openly one of my New Years Resolutions and I want to stick to it, but I'm just scared of what other people will think of it.
    Maybe I should wait until the pride festival next year...
    :newcolor: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:

2. blackhatguy

You could try "Mom, Dad, I think my girlfriend's bi." And take it from there. I think it would be best to do it casually, maybe when the topic of same sex marriage comes up or if they ask you about boyfriends or something

3. sedgeling

I'm here with that old cliche that we all say: you'll know when it's time. How do you know? It's when you decide that people knowing is better than not knowing.

It doesn't mean it isn't scary, because it is. I was terrified with every single person that I came out to, and even though it gets easier every time, for a while you have that worried voice in the back of your head. Fear is definitely natural, because you care. You want the approval of your parents, and the idea of rejection from your peers or worse is a scary thing. People are social creatures, and such feelings aren't abnormal.

If you decide to tell your parents, then you may be better off if you decide to come out at school. They can offer you support if you do encounter any problems, and regardless of that, you can feel more secure in your own home and your own skin. It takes a weight off of you when they know. You aren't bearing the burden of a secret on your shoulders, and you don't have to feel like you're lying anymore.

In the end, it's your deal. It's up to you whether you want it.

4. DougTheBicycle

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm going through this same dilemma right now...pretty much all of my friends know, and I WANT to tell my parents, but they just started doing a bible study with a couple of their friends, and I feel like it wouldn't go well....

But anyway, there's no need to rush things. Wait it out, make sure you tell them at a time when you can answer questions, or discuss it more in depth if they want to. I would say you probably don't want to tell them and then just run out the door...The catholic school thing is definitely going to make it more difficult...are your classmates pretty accepting? There's no need to tell everyone around you, if it happens it happens. Right now, I'm sticking to only telling my friends. Haven't even told any family. I started with people I absolutely trust, and when it got a little easier, I progressed to the rest of them. It worked out pretty well.

Hope everything goes well for you!

5. Pumpion

Thanks for your responses guys!
    Blackhatguy: that would only work if I had a girlfriend (which I don't, but I have a massive crush on this girl, but that's another story), my family do joke about 'secret boyfriends' and stuff and I just play along by casually saying 'no, I don't have a secret boyfriend or girlfriend, but idk if they get the hints.
    ClassyMan86: I think most of my teachers are supportive of the LGBT community, most when I told them about an English assignment where I had to argue that same-sex marriage should be legalized agreed with me, and I think at least my English class is supportive. But there are the people that use 'gay' as an insult and stuff and that kind of annoys me because, you know, what other LGBT things are they using as an insult? Maybe I'm just being paranoid, idk

6. MetalRice

Sometimes it's just easiest to blurt the words out and get done with it; but that may not be right for you.

7. Pumpion

That is how I came out to my closest friend (the first person I came out to), but I remember feeling pretty anxious even after it, and I don't think I could do it again like that, so that may not be the best option

8. MetalRice

Yeah, just do what is comfortable for you.