1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gender-fluid: How To Make Those Around You Understand?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Ninnie, Apr 30, 2015.

1. Ninnie

Out Status:
    All but family
    Hey everyone! So I guess I'm really just asking this to my fellow Gender-fluid people but I definitely want to hear from anyone else that has an idea!

So anyways, I am currently in the closet to [most of] the people I know. The exception being the six friends I eat lunch with at school and my best friend outside of school. I have recently mentioned to this guy I am seeing that I am Gender-fluid. Later we were Skype chatting and he called me a woman and I corrected him [I have been feeling more male as of late]. He just kinda brushed it off saying that I am a woman but it didn't sit right with me.

I am also wondering about coming out to my mother [and by extension my father] as Gender-fluid. I have come out as Bisexual to them already and am out to everyone as Bi. But my father makes very homophobic comments or says things towards me like "when you find a guy, chick, dog, thing to spend your life with..." My mother on the other hand just doesn't talk about it but neither if my parents have ever been cruel to me in response to my coming out as Bi.

2. Im Hazel

I don't really know. Your dad probably wouldn't be too accepting, but he probably wouldn't kick you out. If he says something that is offensive, just tell him that. If your boyfriend is being transphobic, then tell him. Explain how you feel, and if he is a dick, then he isn't really a friend, let alone a lover. Right?

3. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Hazel's got it right, I think.

Also, is it important to you that they know? My mom knows all about my stuff (and tries her best) but my father don't know squat, and I don't care if he does or not.
    I don't know how close you are to your parents. But I think it's important to ask yourself, 'Would it bother you much if you didn't tell them, and thus they would continue to view you as a girl and calling you 'she' etc.?' 'Is the possible blowback worth it?'
    Hope that helps, Ninnie! Take care <3