1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking of telling my parents but...when and how?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Ebiru, May 1, 2015.

1. Ebiru

Okay, so lets get one thing straight(unlike me): I have no reason to believe that my parents will react poorly if I tell them - I just can't bring myself to do it. I have exams coming up soon, so I planned to tell my parents after my exams are over (last exam is June 8th)

What would you guys say is the easiest/least stressful way to come out to them? I was thinking about writing a note and leaving it somewhere but it seems like something they'd make a big point about.

Any advice is appreciated - Thanks in advance.

2. BisexualQueen

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    If you don't think they'll react poorly, sometimes the best way is just to go up to your parents and tell them you have to talk to them about something serious and just tell them. That's the way I came out and it was gave me this dreaded feeling right up until I told the person, but that was just me. Good luck!

3. Billy the kid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Tell them when you are ready. No notes just build up the courage and tell them. If you want to wait until after your exams that's fine, but don't let it eat away at you. Bisexual Queen has some good advice for you. This is who you are, just be yourself and come out when you are comfortable with it. It sounds like your parents will be accepting. Good luck and tell us how it goes.

4. nyorkurr

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Just tell them.

5. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Coming out involves putting away your shield to a person holding a sword and trust them not to strike you. That moment of vulnerability before the person puts the sword down is terrifying.
    But it feels all the better afterwards, as I'm guessing you know from having come out to "Everyone except my parents"!
    Maybe if you're sitting watching TV or similar, just say, 'Mom, dad, I need to tell you something.' And tell them.

6. emma7

Just wait until you're ready and feel comfortable to tell them.

Dont rush things like i did.

7. MetalRice

Sometimes it might be best to do it quick and painless - just blurt it and let it be done with, don't drag it out; but otherwise I would say to just wait until you are comfortable and ready to tell them.

8. YunoGasai

i was in the same situation as you (2 weeks ago XD) , so for months i was debating telling them and wondering the best time and place but i left it for so long. so that i got outed by imessage so the entire experience was a bit embarrassing. basically if you want to tell them and you know they wont react badly i say go for it.

9. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The nice thing about doing it with a well written letter, is that it gives them some time to talk together and think about what they want to say before having to say it. It also can't be backed away from once you have "put it in writing" and left it for them to read. You get to say everything you want to say without being interrupted, just the way you want to say it. If you are apprehensive about how you will feel while telling them, then this may be the best way for you. You end by telling them if they have any questions, you are open to discussing this with them, but it is a fact that you are gay, and nothing is going to change about that. You can also include some PFLAG literature with the letter if you think it will help them understand how they need to respond to what you are telling them. Best wishes for you, however you decide to do it, when you decide to do it (which is entirely up to you, unless they already have figured it out by now, and are just waiting to hear it from you).