1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trying to come out again

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by emma7, May 3, 2015.

1. emma7

:help: Well im a bit stuck because i tried coming out to my mum once before

( this will explain it better) http://emptyclosets.com/forum/coming-out-stories/176670-my-coming-out-story.html

Basically she took it as a joke and saying "oh you cant be gay as you've never dated before" and i do keep heavily hinting to her etc and before she used to joke about boys now she doesn't ( Well not as much )

I want to ask her/come out to her again but after last time my confidence of coming out has been crushed. So I don't really know how to go about this. Its been about 1 or 2 months since all that happened.

Im a butch lesbian if that helps and to be honest the way i dress kind of screams "Im gay!" Iv'e accepted that im gay for about 2 or 3 months too if that also helps

So i have no idea how to go about this :icon_sad:

2. Kat T

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    If you know you're ready to be out, and you feel safe enough to do so, you could maybe tell your Mom that it's not a joke and it's important to you that she knows about this special part of your life. :slight_smile:

3. emma7

@ Kat T

thanks :grin: i feel as if i still need to gain a bit more confidence first

4. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Coming out to one's parent can be one of the most difficult coming outs you'll ever do. You have tried and that counts, and is all that matters. When you talked with your mom the last time, you have given her some food for thought or at the very least have started planting the seed.

Have your mom said anything in the meantime to you that could indicate that she would be supportive/accepting?

It's great that you want to continue working on your confidence. Becoming more confident will help you in talking with her about yourself/your sexual orientation again. :slight_smile:

What does your support network look like at the moment?

5. emma7

The only thing she said a while back before i tried coming out was with her being homophobic she said she would support me anyway.

I have no support. I did have a friend on Facebook that was also gay and me and him haven't really talked much he always ignores my messages so :/ although im attempting to ask him tonight ill let you know what happens. Me and my brother don't talk same as my sister. Dads out of the picture. So im a bit screwed

6. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If she said that she would support you, that's a good sign. It's possible that your mom might need a bit of time to come around to it too but from the sounds of it, things should be okay.

Are there any LGBTQ support groups in your community/area?

7. emma7

Is also gay * didnt noticed that spelling mistake then lol

---------- Post added 3rd May 2015 at 08:35 PM ----------

@Mirko

I have no idea i don't really know if i could bring myself to go to one ill'd rather have online support for some reason

8. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's totally fine if you feel more comfortable with online support at the moment. 'Hanging out' on EC, engaging with others and reading through others' coming out stories can help too with building confidence and thus becoming comfortable with coming out to your mom.

Having said that, it would be good to trying to join a support group at some point. Being able to talk with others in person, is always a richer experience and allows you to connect in ways that online support can't unfortunately. But take your time.

Take one step at a time, and things will fall into place. :slight_smile:

9. emma7

there is a few close which ill try and get to some time. Already my confidence has been boosted :slight_smile: