1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out at uni

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by joshsbach, May 3, 2015.

1. joshsbach

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey so in September I'm moving 150 miles away to study at a Conservatoire and coming out again to a whole bunch of new people is already on my mind. My coming out at home went really well - the worst thing was me stressing for what turned out to be no reason. However I live in a tiny little town where everyone is lovely and I have absolutely no experience of being in a huge city, on my own surrounded by strangers and this makes me kinda nervous. I kinda just want to just be casual about it/be upfront with my flatmates about it but still I'm quite apprehensive - any advice/experience would be appreciated xxx

2. MrSkittles

Just take things one step at a time. You should mention LGBT+ topics and see how the people there react and what they think of it. If they have a good reaction you should come out to them.

3. joshsbach

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
  4. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Many universities have dedicated groups for LGBT students, so that might be a good place to start. If your uni has a group like this it might be a place to make like minded friends.

5. YermanTom

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As you will be in a new social situation, nobody will know your past. Start off by just being yourself. Make no apologies.
    Weather you are gay or straight some people will like you and some people will not. Getting to know people you like and people that like you is a lot less complex if everyone sees the real you from the start.
    Remember everybody (both gay and straight) starting uni will be in the same situation, trying to find a social group that they fit in to. PatrickUK's advice is good, you'll find similar people there.
    You are starting a new life, just be yourself and things will have a better chance of working out well.
    Best of luck and have fun.

6. Lyana

Hi joshsbach. You've already received some good advice, so I'm not going to repeat what's been said -- but I just wanted to say that even if you're a little apprehensive, chances are high it's going to be a great experience. My first year of university was. Don't think of it as being surrounded by strangers, think of it as having the opportunity to meet a ton of new, amazing people. Living in a city is different. I'm not sure I would like it once I have a job, but as a student? It's brilliant.

I also found it very easy to come out and be out in uni here (for example, thanks to the LGBT group on campus). So I hope your experience will be similar.

7. joshsbach

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks guys, that's a different way of looking at things...
    And I just found they do in deed have an lgbt group:slight_smile:
    Thanksxx:slight_smile:

---------- Post added 4th May 2015 at 05:30 PM ----------

#7 joshsbach, May 4, 2015
    Last edited: May 4, 2015
  8. Camel

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    University is great. The first time many people get to be themselves. And at a Conservatoire, people are likely to be very accepting of your sexuality. It's a great opportunity to define yourself the way you want to, and make loads of new friends, including gay friends. Lucky you! Enjoy it!

9. matiasz94

matiasz94 Guest

I didn't have to come out, everyone just assumed :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: But yes, when I first arrived I tried dropping little hints for my roommate like playing songs with gay lyrics or casually asking what her plans were for the day and throw in that I was going to the school's LGBT organization (even if I didn't plan on going).

10. Foz

Foz Guest

You live in Knaresborourgh? That's pretty cool, I've always wanted to go there (well I might actually go for a look next week as I'll be about York and Leeds). What conservatoire is it you're going to? I know the one in Glasgow has an LGBT association, most unis do for that matter, even mine does and we're miles away from anything!

11. joshsbach

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm going to Birmingham. and you should, Knaresborough is beautiful;p

12. Billy the kid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You will have a great time! Get involved with that LGBT group and let your flatmates know up front and you should be fine. Be yourself make new friends and you will have the time of your life!

13. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there, and welcome to Empty Closets!

I would encourage you to join the university's LGBTQ group as it can be a good source for support as well as involvement in university life.

Being casual about your sexual orientation with others, and perhaps walking into it as if everyone already knows, will help with being more at ease. :slight_smile: