1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming to terms with being tran. Not a single person will believe me or support me.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by TouchdownTypist, May 3, 2015.

1. TouchdownTypist

I am 28 years old. Physically, I'm a male and anyone that knows me would insist the same thing. 6'5", built like an NFL tight end, former football player and current football enthusiast, very competitive, leader "alpha" type, I act very "macho" and fit the stereotype of being a "manly man" more than most people that actually want to be a man.

But most of the way I act is just that, an act.

Mentally, I'm as feminine as they come. Highly emotional, highly protective, elaborate planning that doesn't always follow logic but makes perfect sense to me. I don't think 28 year old men are supposed to cry on a regular basis, but there are many subjects that will trigger me where I will cry uncontrollably if I think about them.

I realized this when I started becoming sexually active. My attraction to women is almost completely mental. Basically when I'm with a woman, I project myself into their mind and imagine what I would be feeling if I had their body. I hate my male body, I get no physical pleasure from sex, and my sex drive has gotten significantly stronger as I've gotten older which is something that I'm pretty sure typically happens with women but not men.

When my mom was pregnant with me, they thought I was going to be a girl. I think my mom drank during the first couple months of her pregnancy and something went wrong while I was developing, and I ended up coming out this male/female mutant hybrid.

But it's not the worst thing ever. The way I look at it, men (generally) have physical advantages that women lack, and women (generally) have mental advantages that men lack. I ended up with both so in a way I have the best of both worlds. It's just incredibly frustrating because nobody I've ever met knows what it's like to deal with this.

I've tried telling a few people. Same reaction every time. They shrug it off followed by distancing themselves from me over time.

I spend most of my days drinking myself into oblivion trying to cope with what I'm feeling. Trying to keep up this fake macho mask so the people I have to interact with every day will accept me, but inside I'm just perpetually crying wishing I could meet anyone that could understand how I feel.

2. mountainman

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Re: Coming to terms with being tran. Not a single person will believe me or support m

Thank you for sharing. First off, I want to let you know that you are not alone. I am 31, and have just now started questioning my sexuality, after never having a relationship until roughly a year ago, which ended up with me never enjoying the intimacy of it. I consider myself asexual, however, I never really got a chance to experience normal sexual exploration growing up. When I was 6, I was in a car that was hit by a coal train. The accident killed my little brother and a family friend, and hospitalized me for 91 days with a severe frontal lobe injury. To this day, I suffer from seizures, and ptsd, b/c of that accident. I grew up in a conservative family, so I was raised straight, and due to the ptsd, I never questioned any further. I seem to be slowly coming around to healing, but I still don't know what orientation I truly belong to.
    Sorry, not trying to monopolize the convo here. If you need any help, feel free to pm me.

3. TouchdownTypist

Re: Coming to terms with being tran. Not a single person will believe me or support m

I had my first relationships when I was 17, and my first serious girlfriend dumped me specifically because of how emotional I get. Her exact words were "I have nothing against lesbians but I don't want to date one."

My alcoholism started shortly after that.

4. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Now, quite a few people understand how you feel, because you just told us. You don't like the way you feel, but feel compelled to act "macho" because you look macho, and feel that the people around you will only accept you as macho, not as a sensitive caring man. First of all, that is probably not the only way people around you think about you. They probably see you as a nice, but somewhat private guy who does not get emotional and involved with other people, preferring to be alone and tending to over indulge in alcohol use; maybe acting a bit different and more emotional when drinking, and a little bit hard to read as to what your interests are.

Since you haven't been able to deal with these emotions on your own, it would probably help if you sought out some professional help, first to deal with the excessive alcohol use, and secondly to start working on what is causing you to feel that you need the alcohol to cope with what you are feeling. It does not sound like you have as big a problem as you feel that it is, other than you are not comfortable with your own body as you perceive it to be and are not satisfied with having sex with women. That is definitely something you need some help dealing with, and it needs to be with a trained therapist who has experience with difficulties involving gender roles that do not match physical bodies.

I doubt that you have any physical problems related to your mother using alcohol while carrying you. What you describe does not sound like fetal alcohol syndrome, or any other developmental sort of problem. You sound only like a sensitive man who is not living in an environment where your emotional needs are being satisfied; that is not a "female" characteristic, it is a human characteristic. There is nothing that unusual about what you are expressing; it is probably the alcohol you are using which is allowing you to tolerate these unresolved and misunderstood emotions, instead of dealing with them and accepting your natural personality. A good therapist can work with you and help you on both the drinking and the other issues. Finding one you are comfortable with should be your next step.

5. TouchdownTypist

Well that's just lovely. Another "it's not as bad as you think it is" response.

Fuck everything.

6. Im Hazel

Don't be like that. We are just trying to help. What do you want to do, anyway? Do you want people to believe you? Do you want to make sure of your gender identity? Do you want to transition? If you are serious about the last two, a therapist (esp. gender therapist) could be of help. Do you get dysphoria? Do you struggle every day? If so, just talk about your experiences. It sounds whimsical, but a moving speech can persuade most people of anything.

7. Im Hazel

Don't be like that. We are just trying to help. What do you want to do, anyway? Do you want people to believe you? Do you want to make sure of your gender identity? Do you want to transition? If you are serious about the last two, a therapist (esp. gender therapist) could be of help. Do you get dysphoria? Do you struggle every day? If so, just talk about your experiences. It sounds whimsical, but a moving speech can persuade most people of anything.

8. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth

Like Hazel said, people try to provide their view of the matter. If you don't agree, say so, and why, don't be rude and offensive about it, okay.
    If you seek our help, you tell us what your problems are and we respond as we see it. And a little gratitude is not too much to ask.
    Listen to Hazel's questions above. Have you thought about those questions? Do you sometimes feel physically sick of your own body?

9. Jediknight36

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    All but family

Wow. I'm somewhat relieved that I'm not the only 30 year old AMAB who is just coming around to figuring all this out. You all give me hope.

10. anann

Just because you don't fit the stereotype for trans people or gender nonconforming doesn't mean you aren't - we can't experience what you do on an everyday basis. It is frustrating though isn't it. I do think that talking to a therapist about your feelings could be helpful. A good therapist will help you look at your experiences and figure out how to think about it and what you may want to do with that. It has helped me tremendously. Just make sure they take you seriously and find someone else if they don't (even therapists aren't all good at listening). Good luck (*hug*)

11. Whovian6789

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Girl, let's look at it this way. Your body is how it is. And I could tell you it's ok, but I know what your thinking. So I will tell you something pull your head out of the keg and go do something about this problem.(!)(&&&)