1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interpreting the "Water Testing"

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by sartorious, May 5, 2015.

1. sartorious

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    arfff

good day to all of us

i want to put it simple

Before coming out the one method you try to test the reaction is by dropping some LGBT stuff and check their response or i like to say it in my term as "Testing the Water"

i try tested my family "pool" waters
    since i knew the spot where my parents dipped have sort of tsunami wave means i cant came out to them.

The spot where my brother splashing around also react violently by his phrase "Good gays are the dead gays"... looks like my parent successfully brainwash my brother, so far no luck here as well

the spot where my sister sit is sort of neutral. She gave no positive nor negative reaction. the closest phrase that conveys this probably when i dropped things about gay marriage and she responded "its none of my business but good for them" with no additional comment

how do you interpret the "neutral" response?
    is it okay to come out to people with no positive nor negative reaction when you're hoping to get some real life support?

thank you
    have a good day
    arfff

2. BisexualQueen

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Sorry your parents and brother responded negatively. I'm in the same situation. Was your sister alone when to talked to her? If not, it could have influenced her response. Only you can decide whether to come out or not. You might want to wait and continue trying to see how your sister reacts. Good luck!

3. sartorious

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    arfff
    i dont need to test my parents reactions, it has been always negative since i was 17 (proven by the threat thingy) and still in that way ever since.

i tested my brother water 3 days ago using subject about cancellation of 2010 queer film festival in several european culture center by the islamic hard line. we are alone (not like alone in the room just two of us but like in a mall restaurant which happens to be quite empty day). and the reaction is what i already stated above

yesterday i tested my sister, yes we are alone in a coffee shop, using subject of lesbian couple crowned prom king and queen in 2011. and she gave me the neutral response which i cant use to conclude my testing...

any suggestion of subjects/conditioning that i can use to trigger more accurate side-specific reaction? I know i have to wait before retesting the water to let them "settle" a bit.

I just need 1 person in my family that willing to kept my secret and support me no matter who or what i am

4. Im Hazel

Well, ask your sister more. It shouldn't be that hard, if she doesn't openly discriminate.

5. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    I appreciate it must be really difficult for you to find support IRL. Arff <3. Your every post reminds me of my own privilege. I'd share it with you if I could. But unfortunately I can't, it doesn't work that way. Stay strong <3
    Your sister sound like maybe she could give you some support if you talk to her a bit more.
    Do you have anyone you could be entirely sure/very likely they'd be supportive? Try them in that case also.
    Good luck (*hug*)

6. sartorious

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    arfff
    thanks for your opinion

in my pre-med i joined an student organization with my branch aim is to advocate equality for all sexual orientation and diminishing social stigma for HIV/AIDS -yes even straight with HIV got terribly stigmatized here, and the elderly even believe that HIV can be transmitted by a handshake... what stupid assumption-

even within the organization that supposed to give support i can sill felt the homophobia and discrimination. Probably due to bad recruitment method but i don't know tho.

i have several BF (best friend not boy friend [i wish it was boy friend tho :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: ]) and they didn't like the idea of gender/sexual equality because they think same sex relationship is just plain wrong

probably i should test their water separately to avoid bias result, i'll finish testing theirs by the end of this week

the rest of my "friend" is just a poser that use me for their purposes like to tutor them, give em answer so they can pass theoretical and clinical exams, to switch shift schedule, to accompany them during autopsy because they're scared, etc...

best bet is still my sister with her "GREY" answer
    i need turn her answer to something side specific (positive side i hope)
    any ideas how??