1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To be normal

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Will1, May 5, 2015.

1. Will1

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey, I am Will, i am 17 and been out for a year now.
    Exactly a year ago today i made a status explaining that i was gay, i got mass support and no hate. I thought that as soon as i had came out i would be happy, not anxious or depressed no more. But nothing changed. I can't talk to straight guys in fear they will hate me, i feel everything people say is a personal attack on me because I'm gay, its driving me crazy, I've attempted sucide after my dad mention to not post too many drunk picture because i thought he meant that i look really gay in them and shouldn't want to come across like that.

i don't know what to do, i have no guy friends because i generally can't talk to them, one words answer is all i can say. I generally just want a guy friend just because being with girls too much is just too much, i am still a boy and like guy things but i always think they won't like me because I'm too camp or something. The sad thing is that its my fault that I'm scared, they could be a guy that i have meant who is straight and still would want to be my friend even with my personality but i just can't be myself around them, avoid conversation and not even having a personality when I'm with them, just a yeah or a no when they ask stuff.

Please some one help me, i just want a normal life...:icon_sad:

2. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey Will1,

Welcome to EC.

It is normal to be scared. But remember yourself that being gay is just a small part of your personality. For example, i'm not "Chiroptera, the bisexual man". I'm "Chiroptera, the bisexual man, who likes World of Warcraft, who likes pizza, who hates math, who hates biology, etc. etc." Your sexuality is an important part of you, but not everything you are.

For example, when your father sad you shouldn't post drunk pictures, he could mean he thinks it is bad for your public image to be associated with drunkness too frequently. This is just an example, but, as you can see, it has nothing to do with your sexuality.

I have lots of straight friends (in fact, most of my friends are straight), and they know i'm bisexual, that i had a gay relationship (they knew my BF) and even that i was the bottom in the relationship :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: .

They comment things like: "Eww, that's disgusting <my name>! I don't know how can you like that! (they say this as a joke, they respect me) Now let's play GTA and have some pizza!"

If someone judges you because your sexuality, and the person can only see this among the many other items in your personality, this person isn't worth your time. But relax, there are many, many people out there that can befriend you, regardless of your orientation.

I even have a religious friend who thinks i'm a sinner because of my orientation, but we just agree to not discuss this, and we spend our time playing games like Metal Gear, instead :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

In resume: Being gay is an important, but just a part of who you are. Don't worry too much about what people will think of that part of you, because there are lots of people who simply won't care.

3. Camel

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Will

Well done for coming out, and I am glad it went so well. And Congratulations on being gay! It really is awesome. I feel sorry for straight people :slight_smile:

You say a lot in your post, and it is difficult to know quite how to answer. I think in part what you are going through is probably normal teen angst. Being gay may be the peg on which you hang it, but teenagers often feel like you, for all sorts of reasons.

Maybe a bit of insecurity? Maybe a bit of shyness? It is hard to tell from what you say. Again, they are not unknown.

Attempted suicide is not good. I hope it was just a daft thing because you were feeling down. I think, for what it is worth, your Dad is wrong. What's wrong with looking gay in your drunken photos? Nothing that I can see.

Normal life? I kind of wanted that once too. But there is no such thing. Unless you mean a boring life. And why want that?

Just hang in there. Things do get better. Maybe try to be more outgoing. Say more than one word. Confidence is the key to pretty much everything in life. And be yourself. Who cares what anyone else thinks? Its you who matters.