1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hard time coming out to my family

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by eee, May 6, 2015.

1. eee

eee

I am in college & i've known since i was little that something's different with me. It took me years until i've figured out i might be gay. I already came out to some of my college friends just now. But most of my friends & entire family still dont know anything abt it.

Since i was little, my mom often asks me if i am gay and... of course i deny it because I know that she is kind of homophobe. And it's the same for my dad. They don't really hate gays, they just think that it is wrong & they are kind of religious so it made things really hard for me.

Should I tell them before it's too late?

2. Lyana

The only time it's "too late" is when someone tells them before you can. Other than that, there's no "too late" for your coming out. If you're financially dependent on your parents and there's a chance they could cut you off or make your life hell, then it may in fact be "too early."

That said, if you think you'd be safe and you want to tell them... You can and should. If you don't want them to know, you don't have to tell them right now.