1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

this guy i met

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Sarah, Nov 26, 2008.

1. Sarah

ok. um i know that meeting ppl on online sites isnt all that safe.

but there's this guy i met on this dating site for teens nd he's really sweet nd nice. i honestly believe that he isnt an online predator. we've been talking for a while now.

nd he said that he really wants to meet me in person. he lives just an hours drive from where i live. i want to meet him too.

now im not going to b alone when i meet him. im going shopping with my parents up there anywy so i thought i might as well see if i can meet him.

nd he might b moving to my town nd start going to the same highschool as me so id meet him anyway. but if i meet him now id b able to recognize him at school and help him out if he had any questions.

i really think i like this guy. i think right now we're really good friends. but i hope we bcome more than that someday. hes so sweet and funny. he just seems to really get me. he gave me his house phone number and his address.

so im sure hes not an online predator but still. i want ur guys input so i get another opinion. do u think hes an online predator?

2. Trumpetplyer23

Okay. I'm not going to give you the speech about online predators. That would take way too long.

If you're hell-bent on meeting him, here's a few tips. One, DON'T GO ALONE. Bring a friend, your parents, a hobo, someone that you trust. That way he can't take advantage of you in anyway. Two, meet somewhere public, like a coffee shop, library, town square, a store, anywhere where there's a lot of people. Third, if he wants you to go home with him DON'T DO IT!! That's a one way ticket to rape-land. Sorry for the crudeness, but it's true.

3. MedGuy211

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I agree with Trumpetplyer. I would add that going with an adult would be way better. Don't go with someone your own age. The vast majority of people online are not predators. But, there's no way to know for sure. If you feel like you have to meet him you need to bring someone that you trust. and they need to be by your side, like right next to you, the ENTIRE time.

Still, the idea make me uneasy. If he is transferring to your school, then you should absolutely wait and meet him at school. NOT after school. Meet him during classes, between periods or something, in a crowded hallway. If he is who he says he is then he'll be more than happy to wait for that opportunity.

If he keeps pressing to meet you, or sounds insistant, then that's a huge red flag. I know you have a good feeling about this guy, but you need to be very careful what you tell him. No matter what you think you know about him, you can't know for sure.

let us know how it turns out.

4. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you plan on meeting him, meet him with your parents right there. You can introduce him as "a guy I met playing video games online" or what have you. And I would caution you to NOT reciprocate. Do NOT give him your address or home phone number or real name (if you haven't). Get to know him as a real life person before you let him know anythnig else. If he nudges you in any other direction - if he says he would rather meet you alone, if he tries to guilt trip you into giving out YOUR information since he gave you his - consider that a bigger red flag than anything seen in a Communist parade.

Lex

5. Sarah

he hasnt made me feel lik i HAVE to meet him. he has pressured me or made me feel guilty. but he just been a friend. nd im going to b meeting him in a store. he said his mom is going to drive him there. so he said i could call him to tell him where i am so she cud drive him.

thanks for the advice. but i really want to meet him. i havnt stopped thinking about it since i asked my a parents if we could go up there to just hang out. but my mom wants to go shopping so i guess im stuck with tat.

but even if i do talk to him on the phone. ill most likly block my number. nd im going to b in a public place so i got that set. nd my parents r going to b around me so i wont b alone.

honestly ive given this a LOT of thought. nd im really set on seeing him.

nd to mak MedGuy211 feel less uneasy. i can look on the internet nd see if he really is on the football team nd track team at his highschool.

thanks a lot for the input guy. really appreciate it

6. MedGuy211

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Sounds like a fair plan. Best of luck Sarah

7. Jesse Jinx

Good luck doll! It all sounds about right. Let me know how it goes okay? Can't wait to hear back. Do you know when it's gonna happen?

8. Sarah

thanks for everything guys. im kind of being tortured. hes in seattle right now nd i cant talk to him. AH!! :frowning2: