Coming out on Mother's Day

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ploun, May 6, 2015.

1. ploun

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hi everyone! I need some advice on, of course, coming out.

So my mom and I are really close (she's a single mom and my only sister is much older than me, so it's pretty much been only my mom and me for years) and I was thinking of coming out on Mother's Day. I don't think that it will be too much of a big deal, because not only have I been dropping hints like crazy the past few months, but she's also hinted to me in the past that she would be okay with it.

I thought that Mother's Day might be a good day to do it because she tends to get sentimental on that day anyway and it might be easier to bring it up, as opposed to having to do the whole "sit down conversation" thing. On the other hand, though, I don't know if Mother's Day would be the most appropriate day for it. I don't want to "steal her thunder" or anything, even though it will be just us, and if, by some chance, she does react badly, I don't want to ruin the day.

Do you guys have any advice?
    Thanks for reading! :slight_smile:

2. Connorcode

Connorcode Guest

Okay, so (1) If you're sure she has dropped hints that she will accept you then sure, go ahead!
    (2) Coming out on Mother's Day - maybe, but don't be expecting any parties or celebrations once you come out. As I was forced to say to a friend, 'You're not Tom Daley, so don't expect the world to flip in response to you coming out.'
    (3) There is nothing wrong with the sit-down and chat. My mum sat me down when she heard I'd been seen with a guy and it was impossible for that conversation to go smoothly because it wasn't on my own terms. YOU should be the one who needs to be feeling happy when doing this – your mum will love you anyway. But if Mothers Day is best for you then go ahead.

Hope this helps! Sorry for referring to myself but I felt examples might help.
    Good luck!
    Connor

3. ploun

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Thanks, this definitely helped! And I love your Tom Daley thing, that was pretty awesome. :slight_smile:

4. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It sounds like your mom will be okay with it when you tell her, but I would urge you avoid Mothers Day, just in case she's not. Always better to pick a neutral day.

5. SkylarRain

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with the commenter above. It's like if someone came out to you on your birthday. Even if you weren't doing much for your birthday,it would still suck to make what was supposed to be your day about them,right? If your mom will except you on Mother's Day then she will except you any day of the year. Unless you think she would only except you in a happy mood,in which case don't come out at all(but that doesn't seem to be the case.)

6. Connorcode

Connorcode Guest

Glad I could help.:icon_bigg

7. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'll add to the majority here: Since Mother's Day is supposed to be entirely about her, telling her on that day would be moving the focus onto you. I'd choose a different day.

8. ploun

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Yeah, that makes sense... next week, I suppose :slight_smile: