1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who Should I Come out to next?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Kj802, May 8, 2015.

1. Kj802

First things first, I am gay.
    I am currently out to three friends. Two of which have been really good and supportive. The third. Although he keeps it a secret, we are not close friends anymore, due to his decisions.

I would like to come out to an adult. But I don't know who. Not my parents, they're homophobic. Can't be a teacher, because I go to a Christian school. And it can't be a pastor or anything like that. I feel like I am out of options, but I would really like an adult who knows. Just for the support.

Any ideas?
    Thanks peeps.:thumbsup:

2. Im Hazel

Guidance counselor? Family friend? Godparents? I don't know. Even a youth centre worker, or a LGBT helpline person.

3. whatdoIneed

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Think a bit about what other adults are in your life... Are there any non- church related?

4. Billy the kid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Is there an LGBT support group in your area? Or a youth counseling center in your area? Maybe a friend who is gay and out to their parents, you could talk to their parents? You can ask questions on this forum.

5. Kj802

I'm not sure as to LGBT groups. But even if there is I can't access them. And as for other adults...umm...Not sure.

6. Awesome

In college in Massachusetts, from Pennsylvania
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do you play any sports or have any other extra-curriculars outside of school? Maybe you could tell your coach or someone like that.

7. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It sounds like the adults you really want to come out to are your parents, but their homophobic behavior prevents you from doing so. Are you sure they would treat you badly if you came out to them? Parents often surprise their children who come out to them by being accepting of them, because they love the child more than they hate homosexuality. Maybe you could talk to them about homosexuality and ask them why they feel negative about something that people are born into and cannot change. Sooner or later they are going to find out, maybe they already suspect and are just trying to "wish the gay away" in denial.

If you are in a situation where there are gay support organizations somewhere near where you live, you could explore their operations; you should be able to find some adults there who it would be easy to come out to, because they would be anticipating that you might be gay when you walk through the door, and would not be thinking any less of you when you tell them. Brisbane isn't exactly a village in the sticks; there should be gay social organizations, perhaps even a gay-accepting church there somewhere, with a minister you could talk to, even if he isn't from your family's denomination. You should be able to collect information anonymously online and find a place to meet adults in an accepting and safe setting, such as a community Pride center, or at a nearby college.

8. Kj802

Nah I don't play any sport outside of school. And all the teachers and coaches at my school are Christian, and probably homophobic.
    As for my parents, it's not really the fact whether they'll accept me or not. I know they will. I just dont think I'm ready to deal with the whole, 'We can fix you' statement that will pop up. I could try checking out LGBT groups, but unless it's online I can't get to them, well not until I get my P's next year.

#8 Kj802, May 11, 2015
    Last edited: May 11, 2015
  9. Schloss

Out Status:
    Some people
    Some parents are homophobic UNTIL they have a gay child.
    You said that you know that your parents will accept you. So if they accept you as you are, how could they possibly want to fix you?

10. Kj802

Did I mention my father is a pastor?