1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to my grandparents?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Invidia, May 9, 2015.

1. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Does anyone here have experience with coming out to older people? And yes, I know, not all old people are homophobic or transphobic. It's just more common sometimes.

I'm definitely closer to my grandma. I don't think she'd have an issue at all with me liking guys as well as girls (DMAB here). The thing is I don't care much about coming out about that. I mean, if I'd get a boyfriend, I'd like to share that with her, but I don't have one now, so. It's not a major part of me I feel I need to share atm.
    I want to come out to her, and really to both, as trans*. I have a feeling, however, that they wouldn't take me seriously, would mostly laugh it off, and go back to call me 'he'. I really can't see them calling me by neutral pronouns... but maybe that's too much to ask, even if it makes me uncomfrtable when they do it, I don't know?
    Also, I'm ashamed of this, but I even entertained the idea of telling them I'm trans* female and have them use female pronouns (I would prefer that). However, that would be both lying to them and being disrespectful to transwomen. I'm sorry about that.

How do you deal with coming out to people who are older and don't want to listen to you? And don't get me wrong, I love my grandma, and if she is transphobic that's a product of her upbringing. I just want her to know who I am, and my grandpa too, though I fear his reaction (as in it might hurt; he would never physically hurt me or mentally abuse me).

2. Da1datgotaway

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Dont worry if they dont believe you. As long as you came out

3. Im Hazel

Explain to them. I know you, Triflow, and you are good with language. Just talk about the dysphoria, the endless struggle and how being misgendered hurts. Make them believe. If that fails, keep at it. Mention it the next time you see them. Keep correcting them if they misgender you. Even show them the papers for your name change. Show them how it's official and stuff.

4. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    That's actually awesome advice, Hazel. Official stuff, things on paper, speaks to them, they're just that kind of people. I'll do that!
    @Da1datgotaway, yes coming out to them is definitely the first step.