1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

People think I'm joking

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by baconpox, May 9, 2015.

1. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm a very sarcastic person, so when I try to tell my friends I'm trans they think I'm joking. When I tried to tell one of them I kind of laughed, because I was nervous so she was just like "that was a a dumb joke, come on". I don't t really want to try to again, because I don't want to be annoying, but like I don't know what to do. How do I make it clear I'm being serious?

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! It's great that you feel ready letting your friends know and wanting to create support for yourself.

When you think about going into it, don't go in with the negatives; in other words, "don't want to try again, because I don't want to be annoying." Start with the positives on why you want to come out to your friends. These positives, and reasons, will help you to look at it from a different perspective.

Given that you are a sarcastic person, and people have gotten to knew us such, it might take a while for them to understand that you also have a more serious and vulnerable side to you. So one way you could approach it is to sit down with a friend and start the conversation by saying that you want to share something that is close to your heart and that you are not being sarcastic. Mention your inner struggles with your gender identity and the reasons as to why you feel comfortable identifying as transgender. That should give some of your friends some pause and time to reflect.

Another thing you could do is join a support or a social group for transgender persons and talk about it with your friends as you come out. That will help to solidify your message that you are being serious and there is a different side to you. (*hug*)