1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I don't know if I should come out to my friends..

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by PangolinPerson, May 10, 2015.

1. PangolinPerson

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    So I've decided that I am finally going to come out to my parents next weekend after contemplating it for 4ish years (I'm 15 at the moment). However, I'm also thinking about whether or not I should do the same for my friends. I don't know and I'm worried that if I do, then people will not be as open to me and that I will lose friends. I know that they shouldn't care about it but I can't help but feel that they will, and as much as people say 'If they don't accept you for who you are, **** em' I still care about their opinions.
    Just looking for input on the whole thing.

2. alicuh

alicuh Guest

If people don't accept who you want to love there is very little you can do. Some people who don't agree with it will probably avoid you, and others who may be less against it will still make assumptions about you which aren't true. It is really up to you. If you really care about their opinions, then maybe just come out to close friends who you know aren't against it, and then see how that goes. Good luck :slight_smile:

3. Awesome

In college in Massachusetts, from Pennsylvania
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Coming out may be a way for you to separate genuine friends from fake friends. Think about if this would be a good thing for you at the moment. Are there some friends that you are sure will support you? Being a social outcast is survivable and often worth it if you are backed by a genuine friend. I do not know much about your social environment or your friends, so you must make your own judgements and decide what is best for yourself.

4. PangolinPerson

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Okay, thanks both of you.

5. Gymskirtboy

Gymskirtboy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I came out to a couple of friends last weekend and I was surprised how well they took it. The big danger for you at your age is been bullied at school.
    Other than that I totally agree with what awesome says, if a friend wont accept it,m then they aint really a friend.