1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

when to come out..?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by alicuh, May 10, 2015.

1. alicuh

alicuh Guest

I don't really have any problem with coming out as I am super lucky and nearly all my family are pro homosexuality and basically my entire class is too. I just don't really know when. I am only 13, and when I spoke to a helpline they said to wait for a while to make sure it wasn't a phase... I was always planning on getting my first girlfriend and telling my dad that way. Just saying, "Hey I'm dating someone, her name's ___" and I know he would be totally cool with that. I have told like one friend that I think I'm bi, but other than that I haven't said much else, but some of my friends have already assumed that I might be gay.
    ..?

2. biisme

Hi alicuh,

There's no "right" or "wrong" time to come out - just what feels comfortable for you. If you want to wait to tell your family until you're seeing someone, then you don't need feel pressured to say something sooner. However, if you would like to talk to your friends and family now, then go ahead.

You know how you feel now. And even if you do decide in the future that you like more than just girls, that doesn't make what you feel now any less valid.

3. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you feel ready to tell your parents now, that's fine. The most important thing is to do it when it feels right for you.

It sounds like you have a supportive family who will accept things pretty easily, but it still might be a good idea to save the link to this website - Home - just in case they need extra support when you tell them. Even the most supportive people need to adjust to the news and FFLAG might be able to help.