1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out The Second Time- Need Help

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by DreamerBoy17, May 11, 2015.

1. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been out as bisexual to almost all my friends and parents for about a year. I've only told my sister and best friend I'm a lesbian. For a long time told myself I was bi, convinced myself that I liked boys because I was terrified of leading an "abnormal" lifestyle. I've thought long and hard about who I am, and now I've realized I am only attracted to girls. When I was younger, I "crushed" on some boys but really it was friendship. Now I can only imagine a life with a girl. I came out to my parents almost a year ago as bi. My mom will always be supportive of me and I think she already suspects I don't like boys. On the other hand, my dad is conservative and thought I was going through a phase. I am afraid that if I tell him I am lesbian he will think I am indecisive and he won't take me seriously. How do you tell someone that biased what societal expectations have put you through? How could I ever explain that all my self-doubt and confusion stem from his lack of support? I am mainly asking here how to come out to my parents as lesbian. Thanks for all advice!

2. kev0

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think I know what you mean. I came out to my parents a while ago. My mother was accepting, but my father said the same thing, he feels that I am just going through a phase and will soon be out of it. For my advice, I would tell the more supportive parent first. Don't tell them at the same time but let your mom know first. Then after some time let your mom know that your gonna tell your dad, it may be helpful to tell her first so you can always have support and not have both parents freaking out at the same time. That is the best advice I can give to you. My father I feel is becoming more supportive over time, but its taking a while. I wish you the best of luck!!!

3. mangotree

Here's my experience. Not sure if it'll be similar to yours or not. But gonna share anyway.

I came out as bi to my parents at 21 I think and then gay maybe 6 months later.
    The act of finally being open about liking the same sex - even partially - and then realising that being out, happy and gay wouldn't be as scary as I had imagined prior to expressing percieved bisexuality - made my sexuality a lot clearer to me at the time.

For me, the second coming out was easier and a lot lower key because I suspected that my parents already knew.
    I showed it through my choice in friends, social life, language and even clothes and hair style (when I had hair), so they weren't terribly surprised that I was gay rather than bisexual.
    They really knew deep down (before I did) that "me thinking that I was bi" was just a phase on the way to being gay - not a phase on the way to being straight and not an actual bisexual person.

I've never asked them, but I suspect many people of their generation maybe don't believe that bisexuality as a path to straightness or true bisexuality actually exist. Might just be something they haven't encountered before. You only know what you know I guess.
    They would have changed their mind if I'd been truly bisexual. And I'm rambling.

Perhaps just think of ways that you can drop hints instead of sitting down and having "the talk".

I hope that no real bisexual people read this and take offense, because it's not intended.