1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Possible childhood...problem...memory recall?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by mikeyjames17, Nov 27, 2008.

1. mikeyjames17

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ok well this could basically be nothing. But its bugged me for ages, and i really want to recall a certain memory, as the memory could be quite traumatic, but then again it could be nothing.This is what i remember as a child. It's very sketchy.
    I was 6 years old and at my aunts wedding reception.
    I'm down by a lake when this guy comes up to me and two girls and warns us not to get too close to the water. Basically he chats on and says if I want to talk more about safety and shite like that, then to basically go and see him at this gym. I remember going to this gym and talking with this guy and then getting into a car with him...after that all i remember is me back at the wedding reception eating my desert. Now when i went to see this stranger it was light, when i got back it was dark. I can't remember the inbetween, but i'm just worried i did something stupid as a child.
    This guy could have done stuff to me and i now have no memory...oh when i got in the car there was a bottle of coke which he said i could drink. Now i dunno what was in that drink.
    Basically about a month after that incident i remember, basically experimenting with other guys...boys i should say. Now that is so odd for 6 years olds to do.
    I want to remember that night incase he did something to me.

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Something MAY have happened. But then again, wouldn't family members find it odd that you wandered off into a car with somebody at a wedding reception, for long enough for day to turn to night? Nobody said "Mikey, where you been?" when you got back?

Lex

3. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    You could try hypnosis if you really want to know. As long as you are happy and healthy now, I see no reason to do it.

4. Nixon

oooo... you mentally blocked it

5. Starshine16

Becky you took exactly what I was going to say.Hypnosis is something that only some people believe in but it has been proven to bring forth "Forgotten" or "blocked" momories.

6. Louise

Like Lex said if you left when it was light and got back when it was dark one at least of your parents would have noticed you were missing. Before getting yourself all worked up about it ask your mum if she remembers that wedding, tell her that you remember going to the lake and then ... *insert memory* but nothing in between. She might be able to throw some light on the situation.

Also like Becky said, what is the point of opening pandora's box. If you are happy and healthy today would it make any difference to your life today IF ten years ago you were abused?

As for 'experimenting' with other boys at the age of six, yep, very normal, small children are very curious about their bodies and the bodies of their friends. "Show me yours and I'll show you mine" is a very common game even amongst pre school kids. Its harmless fun, its curiosity... as long as it stays amongs kids the same age.

7. Evilmonkey

it is possible that the stranger was a family member or family friend that you hadn't met yet.. maybe you went and had a nap - you were six.
    maybe whatever happened was just really boring and not worth remembering. wouldn't your family have notived you were gone for say.. half an hour to 2 hours?
    and messing around as a youngster is not that uncommon

8. Peter

Be careful of people who may help you "recover lost memories". There are a lot of charlatans out there who can help you "remember" things that never happened. They will think what they want or believe might have happened and will help you "remember" during hypnosis or others. If no one knew you were gone for that long time when you were 6 years old, I would say either you dropped off in a corner (or in the car) - as EvilMonkey suggests, or your parents are the most careless unloving parents ever.
    Do you really want to know what happened? Will it change your life? I don't think that you become gay because some man molests you. However I do believe that memories are largely made up of striking moments which are not always recalled in sequence. So, just be happy being who you are. Accept that the past is gone, you are what/who you are. There is no point dwelling on it, the question is what are you going to do with it today and tomorrow? Live your life for the future, not the past.

9. xequar

A missing memory from age six? I wouldn't spend a great deal of time worrying about it.

Then again, as it is, I have so many missing memories, some lost by a grade 3 concussion I had about four years ago, some lost by the impact when I got hit on my bike by that SUV last year, and some that I just kinda drank away. Something I've learned is that you can't worry about the past. Those deeds are done, those words are said, and you can't change them. Rather than worrying about what might have been, worry about what is. Reality happens in the present, and you should be here for it.

10. BeautifulStranger

This reminds me of the movie 'Mysterious Skin'.
    It's about two young boys who are molested by their baseball coach. Once grown up, one boy becomes a hustler and the other boy convinces himself he was abducted by aliens when the molestation happened.

As for your memory, I'm just going to say what other people said.
    Something may have happened, something may not have happened. Unless remembering this could solve some problem you're having now, I don't fully see the point in remembering.