1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to deal with staying in the closet?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Boudicca, May 12, 2015.

1. Boudicca

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm asking for some pretty generic advice here, but if you could give me your thoughts, I'd appreciate it.

I recently moved to Korea to teach English. I am absolutely loving Korea, but for some reason, since coming here, I've felt this intense pressure to come out to someone. I didn't feel this much pressure back home, even though I still haven't come out to most of my family. The problem is that if the news got back to my workplace, I'm certain that I would lose my job, which would mean that I'd also lose my apartment and also possibly have to leave the country. I really don't want that to happen, so coming out to anyone (even if they have no relation to my work) isn't an option I'm allowing myself to consider.

I just want to ask how others cope with that nagging voice on their head that's pushing them to come out. How do I shut it up, basically? And why on Earth do I all of a sudden want to come out so badly, now that the stakes are higher? I mean, it's not like I even have anyone important to tell here, like I do back home.

2. bi2me

I spend quite a bit of time on here and talk to the few people who do know.

3. Boudicca

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have been lurking around here a lot, hoping to get my "gay fix", but I feel a bit weird talking to my friends from home about it. I guess I just hope the urge goes away so I don't accidentally blurt it out.

4. Bi in MD

Out Status:
    A few people
    I have a very small and select group of gay friends that I share company with.
    others know they are gay, but those people dont realize I am too...
    They just think Im very open minded.

5. candyjiru

*waves* Hey~~~ I totally know what you mean! I haven't come out to my family or too many people except a select few~ I posted about it in a privated (and announced that it was private and this wasn't to be discussed elsewhere on my wall) post on facebook and that was nice, and I talked to one of my close friends here about it, but other than that... it's just me, watching Will and Grace and flopping around on here XD;;;; I think because it's so taboo and "strange" here that the pressure is worse, like OMG NO! YOU LOVE ME AND I'M QUEER <3 QUEER PEOPLE ARE TOTALLY NORMAL, I SWEAR!

if you ever need someone to chat with~~~ ^.^ And Seoul and Daegu do Pride events every year as well, so maybe keep a lookout? But, I wouldn't participate personally because I also fear for my job... T.T

6. Boudicca

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah, maybe it's just because I went from being kinda out to being completely back in the closet again.

I probably won't go to any pride events either. I am glad to at least talk to people on here who understand, but I really want a friend I can talk to face to face. Finding that friend would be hard though, because I'm not sure who I can trust.

7. candyjiru

Yeah, I would say be very careful. I had one friend have a friendship end badly and his ex-friend called his school, pretended to be a parent there, and outed him and said he didn't want a gay person around his kids because he'd probably molest them... Thankfully my friend had a really good reputation and had worked there for years and they realized that the person wasn't really a parent, but if he hadn't been extremely lucky, he could've lost his job or worse T.T If you're ever in Daegu~~~ <3

8. Boudicca

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    What an awful thing for that person to do! I'm glad he didn't get fired from that.