1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tried to tell my cousin, she laughed. HELP please.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by lemino, May 12, 2015.

1. lemino

I've told my bestfriend when i was 19 or 20 that I am Bi, he was fine with it the girl i dated knew and then decided to tell him that she changed me back knowing I was struggling to come to terms (I've slept with guys and enjoyed it) struggling in a way of who to tell and who not to and how to keep it from my parents as they're anti-gay so he was the first, I am worried he has forgotten about it as my other friend thought its a phase and now comes up with so much jokes that is hurtful to me and we're having issues at the moment in our friend ship.

Tonight I decide to tell my closest cousin, we do joke alot but I have not joked about my sexuality but others in our group have before and recently, I told her in the car and said I am serious and she laughed thinking I am joking, I kept on telling her I am serious and no joke I wanted to tell her because we're close she asked why now I did not know what to say but "What do you mean?" she replied with "we are close and why just now you are telling me not ages ago?" I said i couldn't and she did not accept that as an answer. I want to start telling some people that I hang with alot so I can go date guys again my last BF ended very short because he did not like a visual feature about me which I could not get rid of and refused to cover it up, it lasted 2 weeks because he thought by then I would do what he said, if you can call that dating, I was hurt so I tried to forget about him and I just forgotten his name and hoped it would get rid of that bad experience. My cousin started to demand me to do things like tell my other cousin (her brother) but if she did not take me serious he won't, tell her boyfriend, kiss a guy infront of her. I felt sick when I heard that and yes hurt. I got to their house shortly after she wanted me to tell him but I did not want to but lucky he was face time with his girlfriend and a topic to do with our friend that we're having issues with which saved my skin (or did it make it worse?) When we left, I gave her a different type of bye hug and not much of an eye contact saying bye, I huged my other cousin like normal and was fine with him hoping to sink in "Yes I am serious, you just hurt me" type of message to her.

Should I talk to my bestfriend to see if he remembers me coming out to him and that what my ex said she was not right and I am still bisexual and 100% sure and if he does then should I ask him to help me to get my cousin to take me serious. One of the guys I slept with in the past was with one of our friends who is gay but I said nothing because I was still coming to terms with myself during that time but I liked it all and would do it again, shall I tell him about that? Only if he is cool still about me being bisexual because If my cousin can't accept me I might have to not hang out with her as much as I do if she keeps making jokes.

2. Schloss

Out Status:
    Some people
    First off and only a tad bit off topic, I'd like to say, what is it with so many homophobes in London? It's really sad!

I don't know much about you or your relationship with your cousin, but she doesn't seem like the serious listener type. I might be dead-wrong though. I am almost certain your cousin is doing some serious re-evaluation about you coming out on her own time. At first it's always resistance to the idea. Just like you needed your time to discover who you are, other people will need to take their own time in discovering how they feel about it. It's shitty I know, but that's how it is.

I don't think it would be very appropriate if your best friend talks to your cousin to take you seriously. You cannot "force" somebody to take you seriously. You told her what was necessary, and now she needs her own time coming around to it. Remember that it's still a very new and fresh topic, something which your cousin has probably not been exposed to before.

You CAN however tell her that she needs to seriously stop it with those jokes.