1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thanksgiving junk (big vent)

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by thebikelady, Nov 27, 2008.

1. thebikelady

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Things between my sister and I are always tense. Even more so this week because I found out she/my brother-in-law have been conversing with my father and I came up. (Short version of that back story- My father is crappy enough that I took my mother's maiden name and cut off all contact with him and his side of the family.) I called her on it and she got defensive, called me passive aggressive, and proceeded to stick her head in the sand as per usual. Needless to say, I expected things to be rather tense today because this interaction. She opted to pretend like nothing had happened. Pretend that I hadn't been betrayed.

Instead she took a different route and let out a bit of her own "passive aggressive" nature. My brother's wife was going on and on about Christmas gifts while I was interacting with my nieces. Then I hear my sister say something about "diamonds, flowers," and another thing or two. "You know, things that would be on any straight woman's list." Of course my head whipped around with the question of "What?" "Oh, we were just talking about gifts." I am not out to my family, but realistically I'm sure they know. That is how she operates. Doesn't address things directly, but instead makes catty comments.

The dinner itself went pretty ok. My brother's wife had her usual quota of stupid comments. Apparently she had a big problem with sitting at the kid's table. It wasn't like the "grown-ups made her" sit there. My 8 year old niece had made name tags, and wanted my brother, his wife and myself to sit with her and my 4 year old niece. That personally makes me feel loved, not insulted. Plus, sitting at the kids table is kind of something you want to do in our family. You get to have silly conversation that way.

Clearly this girl still is a child as she was writing notes to my brother at the table about how she didn't understand "while" (because clearly that is the same thing as why) they were sitting at the kid's table. She also wrote on there asking if they were still going. Like the fool she is, she left it on the table in plain view. I found it as I was cleaning up. The part about going was to my father's family shindig with all the people who have hurt us so deeply, including the man's whore. To top it off, she called in "sick" to work so she could go and then lied to us about stopping by her parent's house to get her cough medicine. After finding the note mom drove by "the family's" place, and there was my brother's little red car.

I'm pretty sick over all of this. I asked off of work the three days after Black Friday so that I could go to his deployment ceremony in Florida. Probably three of the worst days to ask off, and there would have been a fight had I not been granted those days. Seriously, would have been willing to put my job at risk to support this kid when his wife wasn't willing to. And then he goes and does this. I can't stand the though of seeing him right now.

I know this is a long rant. I apologize for it, and the many errors I am sure it includes. I just really needed to spew a bit. My tea kettle may send shrapnel yet.

2. Amy

Amy

Yea, she's a bit of a bitch.

I wouldn't worry too much about her. Just let her be a moronic bitch and watch what happens. Or you could do the nice thing and aproach her about it.

3. musican

Wow, how can she do that, "You know the things that would be on a straight woman's list", that is wrong on so many levels; she is insulting you, assuming you're not straight, and using stereotypes. That's just great. (sarcasm) what a bitch (the honest truth)

4. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Looks like you had an unexpected guest at dinner. Or perhaps not so unexpected.

[​IMG]

A lot of people, when they hear passive-aggressiveness or bitchy behavior, feel the need to intercede. They consider it "being assertive" or "standing up for themselves". Actually, much of the time, it's pig rasslin'.

Don't wrestle with the pigs.
    All it does is get you as muddy as the pig was.
    And the pig likes it.

See, the thing is - people KNOW passive-aggressive behavior. They recognize when people are being bitchy. And the most common thought is "Geez, this person is being bitchy." Their behavior quite often doesn't need a response, as it already paints them in a negative light.

OK, case by case now.

You "found out" that your sister was conversing with your father, and you (as a topic, I'm assuming) came up. First up, how did you find this out? Secondly, so what? You cut yourself off from your father - that's fine, that's your choice. Your sister didn't. She's still talking to him. And yeah, it's no surprise that maybe you came up as a topic. So what? Let her.

Next up. She's talking to the family while you're playing with the nieces. She mentions that she wants gifts that STRAIGHT women would want. Big deal. Why are you listening to her anyway? You've got nieces to play with. Maybe your sister IS making catty comments about you. Let her. All it will do is make people think, "Geez, this woman makes a lot of catty comments. I hope she doesn't make them about me."

Next. Your brother-in-law's wife is kinda whiny. So be it. If she wants to play pass-the-note while at the kid's table, let her play. You have nieces that think it's cool to have BikeLady sit at their table. So sit there and enjoy their company, and let her play the I'm-too-grown-up-for-this game. Guess who's gonna have the better time.

Next. They leave. You get the hint that they might have gone to Father's place. So Mom goes to check. Why? Look, for all I know, Father was, and is, a horrible person. In that case, you (and your mother) have every right to say "I'm not going to have anything more to do with him". But it ends there. Don't force people to pick sides, to choose between the "good side of the family" and "the bad". If they want to keep interacting with Father, let them. That's their call.

Leave the drama for the llama. You've got a life to live, damnit, and it's tough to live when you're busy peering over other people's shoulders. Go live it. :slight_smile:

Lex

5. thebikelady

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    My father went in to where my brother's wife works, saying the brother-in-law informed him where I was working. My father is not above lying about sources of information, and it is well established that he was not know where I work. I shot my sister an email asking if maybe my brother-in-law slipped up. She got super defensive and didn't answer. It is her business if she wants to talk to him. My father is not stable, has used violence in the past, and is a proud multi-gun owner with a love of pills. He has a habit of showing up at the store where my brother's wife works just to intimidate her/try to get information from her. It is only a matter of time before he figures out which branch I work at, and then he will start in on me.

She talks like she is the only one in the room. Everyone knows she says things like that. It just gets old.

It hurt the girls' feelings. I enjoyed their company. Just not that of the woman-child chewing with her mouth open, ignoring my babies.

I didn't send mom out to snoop. She was hurt by the fact that she has sacrificed so much for this kid, and he turned around and condoned my father's adultery. That was the issue there. It has always been made clear that it is no problem to go see "the family." Both my siblings are gluttons for punishment and that is their business. My brother feels some sort of bond and needs to do what he feels is right there. My father left us for this woman, then blamed his children and grandchildren for the divorce and the failure of his business. Everyone has the right to choose between good and bad, but dancing with the devil in a blue dress is another matter. (Seriously, she wears a blue jean jumper all the time.)

I try to run the other way, but stuff always chases me down. "One day I'll fly away. Leave all this to yesterday." :icon_wink But seriously, whenever I can move away, things will get better. I won't be bombarded by this all the time. My spirits will surely be much higher. Thanks guys.

6. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hope you'll forgive me if I keep poking at the wound here...

My father went in to where my brother's wife works, saying the brother-in-law informed him where I was working. My father is not above lying about sources of information, and it is well established that he was not know where I work. I shot my sister an email asking if maybe my brother-in-law slipped up. She got super defensive and didn't answer. It is her business if she wants to talk to him. My father is not stable, has used violence in the past, and is a proud multi-gun owner with a love of pills. He has a habit of showing up at the store where my brother's wife works just to intimidate her/try to get information from her. It is only a matter of time before he figures out which branch I work at, and then he will start in on me.

So you took the information your brother's wife gave you - the same one who makes stupid comments and passes notes at the kid's table, I'm assuming - and confronted your sister - the one who makes passive-aggressive, bitchy comments - about it. This is prime pig-rasslin' stuff here. You're jumping down into the mud pit with them. If your father knows where you work, then presumably he'll come visit. If he wants to brag about knowing where you work (even if he doesn't), hoping it'll make it's way back to you (and unnerves you, I guess), then don't play. If Daddy comes up in conversation, bat it away. "I'd rather not talk about him. I've sort of removed him from my life, and I'd rather keep it that way if you don't mind."

She talks like she is the only one in the room. Everyone knows she says things like that. It just gets old.

Apparently, it hasn't gotten too old yet. You're still responding. You're still reacting. Stop. And if you can't stop, see below.

It hurt the girls' feelings. I enjoyed their company. Just not that of the woman-child chewing with her mouth open, ignoring my babies.

It won't - at least not as much - if you just keep your eyes on the prize. Keep enjoying their company, and tune them out. Don't shoot daggers at them with your eyes. Just have fun with the people you're there to have fun with.

I didn't send mom out to snoop. She was hurt by the fact that she has sacrificed so much for this kid, and he turned around and condoned my father's adultery. That was the issue there. It has always been made clear that it is no problem to go see "the family." Both my siblings are gluttons for punishment and that is their business. My brother feels some sort of bond and needs to do what he feels is right there. My father left us for this woman, then blamed his children and grandchildren for the divorce and the failure of his business. Everyone has the right to choose between good and bad, but dancing with the devil in a blue dress is another matter. (Seriously, she wears a blue jean jumper all the time.)

I didn't mean to imply that you sent her out. I don't understand why she went out, period. If it's clear that it doesn't matter that they go see the family, why is she going over to find out if they are? It seems clear that you DO hold it against them for not sticking by your mother (only). As I see it, you can either accept the fact that they're going to keep seeing him, brood about it some more, or cut them out of their lives as well. But be aware that that'll include the kids, as well.

I'm not out to smack you around for what you've done - that's not my goal. But it's really easy to get up into taking sides, and getting caught up in the drama of it all. And frankly, life gets so much easier if you just let that stuff go. So your sister makes catty remarks, and your sister-in-law is a whiner. So be it. Let them be what they are. When they start off on this stuff, just smile and shake your head - "there they go again". It really does take two to tango. And if you keep sitting the dances out, they'll stop asking you to dance. :slight_smile:

Best of luck to you.

Lex

7. thebikelady

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Eh. Its a wound, it gets picked at. I just appreciate any kind of feedback.

The siblings will cut me out as soon as they "officially" know. Right now I suppose they just see me as an awkward young woman who "just can't find the right guy."

The whole "ignore them and they'll stop" theory never really worked with my family. Thankfully my sister lives a bit over 3 hours away. Though that does limit my kid time.:icon_sad: My brother is getting ready to go to Iraq. Hopefully his wife will grow up in that time. Moving back in with her parents won't help, but she has to make some progress right?

8. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Moving back in with her parents won't help, but she has to make some progress right?

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again, expecting different results. :slight_smile: She is who she is. Stop expecting otherwise.

The siblings will cut me out as soon as they "officially" know. Right now I suppose they just see me as an awkward young woman who "just can't find the right guy."

Then why wait? They don't seem to have much to offer you other than having cool nieces. And frankly, I'm starting to wonder if it's worth it. :slight_smile:

Lex

9. thebikelady

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Sorry about the one bit. The sarcasm didn't come out clearly enough there. I don't expect her to change. She is still the 14 year old girl I met ages ago. Only 20 now.

The nieces are really cool. It is great having people who think you are the best at everything and want to learn from you. Plus they are cool with me. The whole concept of gay is lost on them, but the oldest did get quite a chuckle when I had to put on pink gloves to clean the her scooter after an unfortunate run in with some dog poo. Needless to say, pink is not on my favorite color list.:lol: