1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out - mostly neutral reaction?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ItsFermata, May 14, 2015.

1. ItsFermata

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    So on Mother's day (5/10), I was pretty depressed because I was reading my Bible ( the story of Sodom). Anyway, with her Mom ESP, my mom knew something was wrong. I didn't really want to talk about it on Mother's day, so I just said I didn't want to talk about it. Later I found her crying in the office, which made me feel really bad about everything. She asked me again what was wrong, and I told her I was reading the story about Sodom. She was confused, and so I just said, "I'm bi." She went on the whole "we love you" and all of that, but she also said that I might just be trying to force an answer/resolution to this, and I should just let whatever happens happen. I tried coming out about 2 months before, where my parents didn't believe me and said it was "just a phase". Nothing's changed in our relationship, positively or negatively, but I was kind of expecting a little more than, "That's cool, what were we talking about again?" I don't know. Any advice?

2. sedgeling

I'd play it by ear for now. Its hard to determine what your mother is thinking right now, but time usually helps make it a little bit easier to figure out. Heck, she may even outright tell you at a later period if you don't infer what it is that is going on in her head. But right now, I don't really know what her thoughts are.

3. yayforthelgbt

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    If this makes you feel less depressed, I can tell you (well at least from my interpretation) that homosexuality was not the sin of Sodom and Gomorrah. "'Now this was the sin of your sister Sodom: She and her daughters were arrogant, overfed and unconcerned; they did not help the poor and needy. Sodom's sins were pride, gluttony, and laziness, while the poor and needy suffered outside her door. Just because the gang rape was homosexual, does not mean it was a condemnation of loving modern homosexual relationships. If you want more about this, you can check this out here: Would Jesus Discriminate? - What was the sin of Sodom? (Genesis 19 and Jude 7)
    Hope this helps :slight_smile: Oh and about your mum, I would just see what happens. I'm sure she will say something more eventually.

4. Christiaan

Christiaan Guest

Uh, the neutral reaction is what we really beg and pray for straight people to get the hang of. Look, you are more than just your sexuality. You have interests. You have tastes. You have preferences in what kind of liquor you like if you ever drink. You have your whole life ahead of you, and there is so much that you can accomplish.

You are out, so go on to become a successful person. Develop your depth and things about you that make you special. Keep trying to find something in you that really gets their attention. Make it your challenge and quest. Open a business, go on a bike tour, anything, just distinguish yourself. Make it your point in life to find something, someday, that makes them drop their jaws in shock and say, completely unaffected, "I didn't know you had it in you."

When you get older, I can guarantee that you will be glad that your parents did not make a big production over you being gay and gave you a chance to be a normal kid. They are giving you that chance now. Please, take advantage, and do something cool. Do something interesting. Do something fun. Be somebody, and make them proud.

#4 Christiaan, May 16, 2015
    Last edited: May 16, 2015