1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weird Feelings

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by EM68, Nov 28, 2008.

1. EM68

Yesterday I went over to my family for Thanksgiving and had a blast. We all had a great time. The food was excellent as usual and we had great conversation. On the way home I started to feel a little sad. I plan to come out to my family after the new year and I started to get stupid thoughts that if my family does not accept me, it could be my last Thanksgiving with them. During the day today I felt the same off and on. I hate it because I feel that my parents will accept me so I do not know why I have these feelings. Has anyone else ever felt this way or am I just being ridiculous?

2. Nodnarb

I've felt the same way both times I came out. Both times things turned out brilliantly:slight_smile:

I had a ton of crazy/sad/scared/depressed thoughts running through my head before I heard from my sister after she read my coming out letter. Eventhough I knew there was no way in hell she would react badly, I was still scared to death.

It sounds like your gut feeling is that your family will accept you, and that feeling is probably right. The other, "stupid", feelings are just naturally caused by our fear of taking a big step into the unknown.

3. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're just worst-case scenarioing. (Is that a word? It is now, damnit.) It's common before even the safest, most routine surgeries to worry about "what might happen", for instance.

One of the best things about coming out is specifically that - you're beyond it. You don't have to worry about what might happen or how so-and-so will take it, because you know how they took it. You can focus our time and mental energy back on living your life again. :slight_smile:

Lex

4. MedGuy211

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I went through the same thing this morning before I came out to my little sister. (It went fine.) We all get these feelings, and not just about coming out. I get these kinds of thoughts all the time, pretty much whenever I'm about to do something that could have a big impact on my life. Trust your gut, you know your family.

Lex the word you were looking for is catastrophizing (looked it up in my psychiatry book)

5. EM68

Thanks guys. Right now I feel a little bit overwhelmed. I have had a bad head cold for over a week and have not had a good night sleep in a while. I think I may be just overtired. I just can not wait to come out to my family. I want to get it over with!

6. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^ Quite a change from a few months ago, no? :slight_smile: I think you're on the right track.

Lex

7. EM68

Absolutely! Overall I am the happiest I have been in a long while. The other night at the PFLAG meeting I go to, one of the heads even commented that I seemed a lot happier and was making progress. EC is a big part of it, thanks everyone! (*hug*)

8. Starshine16

I felt the same way yesterday and it really hurt knowing that I could be spending the last Thanksgiving with my family.I love my family and despite my Catholic grandmother being so religious I know she will accept it.It's my Uncle that I am the most concerned about.We are close,but he is hardcore republican and he voted yes on Prop 8.I too plan on coming out completely right after The New Year.

So you were not the only one feeling fear/scared/uncertain.