1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When to come out as trans?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by darkcomesoon, May 17, 2015.

1. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm home from college for the next month and a half before I leave for my summer job, and I'm wondering if it's the right time to come out to my parents. Being misgendered has really bothered me for the past few days, but usually I'm just used to it, and it's not such a big deal for me. Even today I've been feeling a lot more comfortable, so coming out feels less urgent. I don't know if I should just get it over with or if it's not worth the effort (I know the entire process will be quite distressing for me) when it doesn't feel urgent.

I can easily make my own pros and cons list for coming out (pros: less misgendering, proper name used; cons: my mother taking a long time to use my pronouns consistently, millions of questions about myself and about trans people in general (they pretty much already see me as the spokesperson for all trans people), coming out is terrifying). I was hoping I could hear other people's experiences and their pros and cons list. When you came out (especially as trans, but I'm interested in hearing about any coming out stories), why did you do it? What made it feel worth it? What were you afraid of?

2. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    oooh boy, I think I can be a fairy of some assistance here, I just went through this like today, yesterday and the day before that...

So, I finally decided on trans female and thought I must tell some people.

It went well with my best friend, he was just like "you go girl. as long as you're happy". Really no cons there, except for the butterflies perhaps, but hey, they're a part of life, right? <3

Then my mom, who was kind of dejective at first it seemed, and made me feel bad. That's a heads-up. It can take some time for them to process it properly.
    But then she came in to my room with coffee next morning and we talked about "what would my birth name have been, now again?" etc., and I decided on Rebecca as my name and stuff :slight_smile:

To my sister. Here's a real heads-up. Kids can be so accepting and yet so... 'ignorant' in lack of a better word. She did call me "sis" in the end and said that 'well, [if you have a vagina] then I have two big sisters!' So that was good :slight_smile:
    Well my point is, 'but you're a girl' or some bs might slip out. It happens.

Also to my grandma, she was just the coolest ever <3

So yeah, it took some energy, really, but it's worth it now.
    I were afraid of not being seen as who I am, which is why I came out in the first place. It still scares me. I mean, I'm really tall, and I might still get a lot of 'hey you're a tall gal' when I'm post-op and have been on hormones and everything. But I still definitely think it's worth it all, no matter how hard the way there is.

You have to decide what feels right for you. Is it worth it to keep it in a little longer or would you prefer letting it out and taking the plunge of having to talk about it etc.?

Best of luck, hope it goes well <3

hugs (*hug*)