1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

tips for coming out to mom

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by matt1994, May 17, 2015.

1. matt1994

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think, i want to come out to my mom. I know her views and that she want acccept it at all. But i feel like she deserves to know.im 20 years old and live with grandparents and they are very christian and i know they wont accept it either. But i really am tired of lieng to my mom having pretend girl friends just to hide it . How should i tell her

2. MetalRice

Well, it's best not to be confrontational about it, cause that could lead to even further problems; especially if she may not be the most accepting of it. Just try to bring it up calmly and naturally if possible, that's the best approach I can think of.

Just be prepared for backlash through; and know that you have support here on EC :slight_smile:hug:slight_smile:

3. matt1994

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well i tried talking to her today about it but just couldnt get the nerve to tell her. Im not sure why i cant. I mean i have preparations already for worst case scenario. My sisters know and accept. I just cant tell her i just know how strongly she feels against homosexuality. Not even sure how can bring it up. With out getting tounge tied

4. biisme

Maybe it would be better if you wrote a letter? I always thought that was easier than telling someone face-to-face. In fact, everyone I "officially" told when i first came out was via letter. It also lets you phrase things exactly how you want and you know you won't be interrupted.

5. MurderMystery

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    A letter is a great way of letting your mother know! It lets you become more relaxed about it and what not. You don't need to worry about mistakes because it'll be all done for you. If you're looking for a more sentimental face-to-face way, I suggest practicing it first. Be ready for questions and tears possibly. Try and do it privately, when your mother [And you are both ready. Dont be nervous because she's your mother and in the end she'll still love you no matter what!:thumbsup:

6. matt1994

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    A leter would be easier. Probaly because i cant get the courage and i dont want to hear that crying and screaming and angriness i know im going to hear. So a letter would deffinitley wil be easier